Video Card - Workstation versus gaming

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2007
Video Card - Workstation versus gaming

With respect to this thread:

I realise there is some difference between workstation and gaming cards - but is this more towards CAD type applications?

Since I use 3DS Max would it be better to get a gaming card with more texture memory?

I usually only have one object displaying it's edges or verts at any given time, and I usually manage scenes with layers - however some of my colleagues prefer to have all their edges and verts showing (I dont think it's the best thing to do but hey....)

So my question is: are workstation graphics cards better for high vert count CAD/CAM stuff and would gaming card be better for 3DS Max?

I do architectural visualisation if this helps.

I am tasked with upgrading all our new PCs - and at the moment our budget limit seems to be around the FireGL 7200 or 7300.

If anyone is in the same boat, or near enough any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

11 November 2007
Hello fellow bristolian,

you might want to investigate the ati 2900xt range of cards - there seems to be a way to patch the cards which results in getting 5600/8600 firegl performance out of them.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sh....php?t=17797520

check the links in that thread for more info - seems solid enough, but I guess for work you might want to be careful anyways...

11 November 2007
Thanks for the help my strong Bristol brutha.

The link was helpful - except the one problem seems to be lack of 64 bit drivers - so I may wait around.

My boss wants the first PC - so I think I'm gonna play it straight and get a standard card - but we've agreed that maybe everyone should make their own choices re: video cards, as we seem to use them in differnt ways (eg, whether we like large textures or lines etc.)

I'm going to keep my eye on the 64 bit driver situation, but to anyone else reading this thread I suggestthey look into it - turning a 165 card into somethign worth a few more hundred has got to be worth it.

Right, the rain is bombarding our little office near the industrial museaum on the harbour! cheers for your help!

11 November 2007
I went to ebay and found a NIB Nvidia Quadro 3500 for my main rig. On my MacPro running XP I have a Radeon X1900. The Radeon is faster, but crashes more often. This is probably
not a very good comparison, but I have heard game cards are less stable.

11 November 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread