CGTalk > Technical > Technical and Hardware
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
omeeddude
portfolio
Canada

New PC - Need Help Choosing Hardware

Hey Everyone, I am looking to buy a new pc geared towards 3d work. I have never built my own computer and I would appreciate any advice on the matter. I have a budget of around $1500.00 give or take a few hundred. I will primarily be working with maya, zbrush, and nuke, That being said I am always trying to experiment with other techniques and programs, so I would like a rig that could handle going a little bit further in those directions. I also read a few threads talking about crossfire with two video cards but couldn't understand that very well. If anyone would like to take the time to explain that to a laymen, it would be much appreciated.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

First of all do you want to build your own computer with your budget? even though you haven't built one before. Well I guess you can just buy all the components and hire someone to put it togther for you. Or do you want to buy a prebuilt machine with the budget?

To put simply Crossfire is like what you have said 2 Graphics card in one computer but are linked together with a type of cable(ribbon connector), working in sync to improve proformance by using 2 GPUs to share the workload. Also Crossfire is AMD's brand name for linking up graphics card in this way, Nvidia's version is called SLI or SLI bridge. Below is an image of the Crossfire connect, you connect both AMD graphics card with(only works with AMD cards), Nvidia's connector looks very similar.

Also in order for both graphics cards to work in this way, they both have to be identical. However you don't need 2 cards if you are starting out and with a small budget, it's enough for one graphics card.

As for componets, I believe someone else more knowledgeable than me can you. However I will try, just know I'm not the most knowledgeable, you just got to get the following to build any computer-

1)Computer Case/chassis -I would get a Mid-tower or Full Tower(these are the sizes that will fit most boards but Full towers are bigger and you don't have to worry too much about any clearance issues).
2)CPU or Processor-The fastest are Intel processors, i7's are the best in the line. They can come as i7 Haswell socket 1150 or the latest i7 Ivy Bridge-E socket 2011. You can Intel i5 Haswell but they are less powerful.
3)Motherboard-This is depending on which CPU you want, for Haswell you will need an Intel socket 1150 motherboard, best performing ones are intel socket 1150 Z87 motherboards for overclocking(there are boards that are H87 and etc but will not perform as well). Ivy Bridge-E boards require a intel socket 2011 x79 motherboard. Just a preference thing but I like Asus brand of motherboards over others.
4)RAM-Get at least 16GB RAM, personally I prefer Corsair brand but there are other decent brands like Kingston.
5)GPU or Graphics Card-This one's a bit debatable Nvidia is prefered when using Maya, supposedly have more drivers for it and generally out perform AMD cards. There's also the issue of either consumer or Professional card(cost much more), the difference is with the support from professional cards having more optimised drivers to run softwares like Maya and consumer cards can have some viewport artifacts but don't affect the render. Cosumer go for any cards with numbers above Nvidia GTX 670, if you really want a professional card look at quadro K2000 and above.
6)Hard Drive-You can just get only mechanical hard drives, HDDs, without the need for any solid state drive SSDs. Will definitely need at least one HDD, I would get at least a 2TB WD Black(just preference but I prefer Western Digital). For SSD, if you really want the fast booting of software, get a 128GB OR 250GB Samsung SSD because they perform the fastest.
7)CPU cooler-This depends on the type of CPU you are getting. Just make sure it matches the socket e.g socket 2011. Don't look at water cooling. You should get a air cooling heatsink(may require buying a thermal compound or heatsink paste) or hydro/closed loop cooling that's similar to water cooling(if you want to spend extra). I would suggest to get a decent one to keep the temperatures down. There are too many air coolers but get one with a decent brand, look at review. For Hydro get a Corsair or NZXT cooler.
8)Power Supply or PSU- This where I probably struggle most on, it also depends on what components you have in you machine but the important thing is to get a PSU that's able to power all your components. A 700watt PSU is a good start, as it allows room to add more components and you'll need extra power for that. Modular PSUs are probably easiest to plug your cables in.
9)Optical Drive-You'll need at least a DVD writer but nowadays I would get a Blu-ray writer.

Hope this helps and the others probably give you a better list of components and help you.

goodluck.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
vlad
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkherow
To put simply Crossfire is like what you have said 2 Graphics card in one computer but are linked together with a type of cable(ribbon connector), working in sync to improve proformance by using 2 GPUs to share the workload...

... to share the workload and improve performance in games that support it only. Your content creation application will not benefit from this. The only thing that will take advantage of multiple graphic cards is gpu based rendering, and only if your whole scene fits in the memory footprint of the card that has the least amount of it (ram). And even then, SLI (or Crossfire) is not needed.

Last edited by vlad : 11-04-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
omeeddude
portfolio
Canada

Oh wow, thank you for your quick reply, it was very in-depth and informative. I am most likely going to go with the Quadro K2000 workstation card. The K4000 is worth a grand, but with 16 gigs of ram I don't think ill be running into any troubles. There is a company called "NCIX" nearby with an online ordering system, I am also going to look at prices on amazon. Any other well known, reliable and cheap websites that ship to Canada that I should check out?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeeddude
Oh wow, thank you for your quick reply, it was very in-depth and informative. I am most likely going to go with the Quadro K2000 workstation card. The K4000 is worth a grand, but with 16 gigs of ram I don't think ill be running into any troubles. There is a company called "NCIX" nearby with an online ordering system, I am also going to look at prices on amazon. Any other well known, reliable and cheap websites that ship to Canada that I should check out?

www.newegg.ca
www.tigerdirect.ca

Old 11-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread