Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-31-2013, 03:39 AM   #361
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Yeah, in a previous post, I mentioned how Ton is usually very good at re-purposing and adjusting suggestions even if he doesn't accept them initially.

I was actually trying to push for Blender to be involved in productions that were heading "to market". But Ton saw that as making Blender exclusive.

So he flatly refused.

You can see there the adjustments he's making.. he wants to make sure the content is "rights free"... And that any support are "donations"... Not "investments made with an interest".

Old 10-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #362
tischbein3
whatever

portfolio
chris huf
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablefox
I agree and Valve did something nice, to a certain extent. The length Pixar willing to go to re-license some technique to that its compatible with Blender is a good thing too.

Exactly

What I think Ton does fear, is a complete takeover /shaping blender into a completly different product wich alienates existing users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablefox
However the matte painting tool have been discussed before, and I think the consensus was they doesn't want Blender to be too bloated. Krita is already well done and already used on high end movies. I already posted the link in this thread.

Oh sorry for this misperception, I think the other way round:
Providing a 3d tool for matte painters, not making blender into a painter program

Last edited by tischbein3 : 10-31-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #363
CaptainAmerican

portfolio
Raymond T Stewart
Senior Technical Artist
CCP NA
Stone Mountain, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tischbein3
What I think Ton does fear, is a complete takeover /shaping blender into a completly different product wich alienates existing users.

I got this pretty clearly from his commentary. Whose to say what is better. I think that attitude will prevent Blender from ever becoming a mainstream tool. But by the same token, I think it will preserve it as a resource where everything else out their will be subject to market changes that make or break commodity products, which is what they have all become.

So, I think Blender is never going to save the world, but the 3D world will continue to be richer with it out there and growing.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #364
thrivingartist
Frequenter
portfolio
Jon Varner
Lead 3d Artist
The Texture Mill
Mountain View, USA

I thought I would chime in as a guy that actually uses both on a regular basis. However, which one I use is completely dependent on the project I am working on. For me, the main difference between the two is the amount of control. Take fluids fluids for example in, in blender there are only an handful of attributes that control its behavior. This is a good thing if you need something quick and are looking for something generic. In Maya though, the attributes that you can manipulate are endless, which is of course what you need if you are looking for something very specific. So for me, if a project requires a simple look and I know blender offers it, I will jump into blender simply because it faster. But if I need something more custom, then I will spend the time in Maya to get it right.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #365
zandoria
A:M zealot...

portfolio
William Sutton
Zandoria Studios
Ooltewah, USA

Would these keyboard stickers help someone learn Blender?
http://www.4keyboard.com/blender-ke...cker-p-227.html

Old 11-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #366
Tama
Expert
Tony Brighton
Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandoria

Would these keyboard stickers help someone learn Blender?
http://www.4keyboard.com/blender-ke...cker-p-227.html

Those colors are blowin my mind!
That might work for some, although if this is what Blender needs to help
in learning, then it might just be a good indication that something about Blender's interface is screwy and requires a rethink.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #367
MConDA4ever
Veteran
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbyte
I'll be quoting many of your comments in my presentation at the Blender conference called, "Why People Laugh at Blender" :P. Hopefully it'll turn a few heads and make people think about Blender's future.

Keep the critiques coming! Your brutal honesty is appreciated

Ok. YOu wanted it that way.

Only Amateurs ask Professionals why they donīt use Amateur Software for their daily professional work.

Autodesk Maya is another league than Blender. Blender is a nice package for Amateurs, but it lacks on many things. I use it now for three years and i think it was a hard learning curve. Maybe totaly senseless.

In your Podcast you simply copy pasted Maya UI and claim it as your design? Of course you will say it is not copy pasted but deep in your physcology you just copy pasted it.

I donīt think Blender Foundation will ever change their beloved UI the way you desire. Most Blender Nerds would go on the barricades, because they work after tutorials. They have no clue about 3D basics.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #368
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandoria

Sheesh, flashback to WordPerfect keyboard templates. They actually were helpful back then so I guess they would be now too.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Thread Closed share thread