Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
mocaw
Foot in Mouth

Gideon Klindt
PDX, USA

The Foundry Presents MARI 2 and MODO 701 in Portland Oregon, April 18th

3DPDX, VFXPDX, & PAMUG and proud and excited to announce that the Foundry is coming to PDX to show MARI 2.0 and MODO 701!

The highly talented Scott Robertson will be presenting, so this is sure to be an event you do not want to miss!

If you live in the are please show up to the event, and bring anyone and everyone you think might want to learn more about these two fine cg packages.

The Foundry Visits Portland
April 18th at the AI - Doors Open at 5:30
Food and beverages provided
Software to be raffled away!

http://goo.gl/maps/y8FPi
http://3dpdx.com/

Huge thanks to Joe of 3DPDX and Melodie of the Foundry for setting this all up. We all look forward to seeing you there.

Last edited by mocaw : 03-29-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Why does TheFoundry have Modo on their page, did they buy Luxology?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
mocaw
Foot in Mouth

Gideon Klindt
PDX, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
Why does TheFoundry have Modo on their page, did they buy Luxology?

Several months ago they merged (or married as they like to say).

Functionally, sans some marketing, and tech sharing, AFAIK, they are still different companies in the day to day sense. MODO licensing etc. for the most part remains the same etc. It was actually a customer in a large studio, who used both programs, that suggested they at least form a technical relationship, but I guess after meeting up, the decided it would be best to combine forces.

So it's not like the Foundry gobbled up luxology, like some rampant, mutant software beast!

It's been good IMHO, and I think both companies will learn good things from each other.

If you want to learn more, you can start here:

Lux+foundry merger

Do you use modo- if so, or your interested in it, you might want to check out the BAMUG events too. Next one is even in Berkley coming right up April 4th:

http://forums.luxology.com/topic.aspx?f=4&t=74881

Last edited by mocaw : 03-29-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Thanks for the heads up re; the event and for the useful information regarding the merge.
I'm not a Modo user, but I have had an opportunity to play around with it.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
Zeddicus
Nothing is ever easy.

One has an interest in going up against Autodesk, and the other has an interest in going up against Adobe. Makes sense to join forces for that reason as well and I'm looking forward to seeing if they can shake up the market a bit with some real competition.

It's pretty cool to see Pilgway (3D Coat) on there as a sponsor too. Andrew is a great developer and his work deserves to get some much needed exposure. It's interesting how he's willing to do this for us, considering modo and Mari could both be considered the competition technically.

Last edited by Zeddicus : 03-30-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Fixed some grammar.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
mocaw
Foot in Mouth

Gideon Klindt
PDX, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus
One has an interest in going up against Autodesk, and the other has an interest in going up against Adobe. Makes sense to join forces for that reason as well and I'm looking forward to seeing if they can shake up the market a bit with some real competition.

It's pretty cool to see Pilgway (3D Coat) on there as a sponsor too. Andrew is a great developer and his work deserves to get some much needed exposure. It's interesting how he's willing to do this for us, considering modo and Mari could both be considered the competition technically.

It's true, and lux has a interesting relationship with other developers. Part of it is they honestly don't pretend like they're the only software people use- and the MODO user base, having started mainly as a modeling application, is inherently going to be a multi-app one. This understanding has prevailed even while modo has grown to cover every aspect of 3D now (Modeling, rendering, texture, sculpt, particles, complex rigging and animation etc.).

The foundry too isn't actually anti Adobe by any means. While some might see some cross over between AE and NUKE, they see it differently. It's also why you see the foundry making plugins for AE.

I think Pilgway is similar in that, besides Andrew being a kind fellow, they know they don't exist in a bubble. A lot of Pilgway users are MODO users (have to animate and render those textured models and sculpts somewhere).

In terms of attending these events, even if you are not a MARI or MODO user- I often attend MAXON C4D events, even though I'm not a user. The reason being is that I find I meet a lot of interesting people, great contacts and get to compare notes on software that I don't use. While each different 3D package has a tinge of it's own culture, in the end there are more similarities than differences- and I love learning about ingenious solutions that translate across packages.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Zeddicus
Nothing is ever easy.

Great reply, mocaw. For the sake of clarity, what I meant by "going up against" was that there is an interest in creating competing products. In fact I'm pretty sure I read a post by a developer from The Foundry that specifically mentioned the idea of creating something which would directly compete with Photoshop. Might have been this forum; it was quite a while ago. Whether that will actually happen, who knows.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
mocaw
Foot in Mouth

Gideon Klindt
PDX, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus
Great reply, mocaw. For the sake of clarity, what I meant by "going up against" was that there is an interest in creating competing products. In fact I'm pretty sure I read a post by a developer from The Foundry that specifically mentioned the idea of creating something which would directly compete with Photoshop. Might have been this forum; it was quite a while ago. Whether that will actually happen, who knows.

I'm new to following the Foundry as they have been mostly off my radar until the merger between them and lux- so I'm more familiar with lux and that crew. Interesting, I didn't know they said that about photoshop- maybe that's what MARI became though? I know a while back, there were not many real choices as a dedicated texture painter sans maybe bodypaint.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
beaker
Meep!

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Deke Kincaid
VR Pipeline Supervisor
DD
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to beaker Send a message via AIM to beaker Send a message via MSN to beaker Send a message via Yahoo to beaker
We are all big on working well with other tools so 2.0 has a really nice PSD round trip in Mari. So your free to paint between both Mari and Photoshop or any other app which reads/writes psd files. Of course we hope that little things like this will slowly ween you to our side. We don't purposefully trap you in our pond though.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread