portfolio
Nicholas Joseph
Compositor
Dreamspark
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to nfrancisj
how can I impove my comp??

hi everyone,

Im working on a scene; Audi driving through a tunnel, and I used nuke to comp, 3dsmax to create the 3d.
Something looks off... i cant think what I should do to make it look better. By better, i mean more professional. I improved the 3d drastically using nuke...something is missing. My friend comment that maybe lens flares will help.

Please can you give me comments on how to improve.
http://vimeo.com/55034531

Thanks

Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
JamesNZ
Frequenter
portfolio
James W
Wellington, New Zealand

The compositing itself actually looks pretty good. The biggest thing that stands out to me is the extremely repetitive/distracting pillars in the foreground. They just look wrong; particularly since this is in a tunnel, and I've never driven through (or even heard of) a tunnel with pillars, especially that close together.

The second big thing is the camera movement. That kind of super-stability just doesn't happen, especially not at that speed Try just blocking out camera moves in your mind, then animate the camera in a scene with some low-res geometry to get a feel for what it could look like. That's what I do.

Hope this didn't come off too negatively, the shot is still pretty good. Just make a few adjustments it'll look great on your reel

(P.S, I love the way you've organised your script, very logical and well thought out )

- Jesus

Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
nfrancisj
vfx rulezz!!!

portfolio
Nicholas Joseph
Compositor
Dreamspark
Los Angeles, USA

not negative at all. I appreacite your input.

I copied the tunnel idea from this bmw commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...a40rOUr_w#t=27s

but yea, I think the pillars close together like you mentioned.... maybe a slight brick pattern also may sell it as a pillar.

I'll work more on the camera also.

So what I plan is:

- time remap the shot so it slows down a tiny bit
- space out the pillars more and add a slight brick pattern
- add a tiny bit of camera shake
- lower the amount of motionblur on the wall and lights
- lower the amount of glow on the background lights
- sharpen the car render a little bit.

Thanks again

Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

I think it looks like your 3d render for the backgfround is too bright and flat, and you're relying on the comp to tweak it. The vignetting and darkening of some areas are ok, but I think it would help the realism if the render from 3d wasn't so flat and evenly lit. Try to isolate areas of the back wall and road way with real 3d lights to get nice shadowing.

Also I feel like the car needs one more reflection pass or specular pass to get some more sharp reflections/highlights moving across it. It almost looks the falloff of the specular highlights is too much and not sharp enough for a high gloss car paint.

The blacks could probably be crushed a little too, I don't really see any black values, just dark gray.

Also, just noticed the shadowing on the car doesn't really move with the lighting. The whole shadow along the bottom of the car should be moving with the direction of the lighting, but it just stays static.

I guess the overall issue, is the lighting in general doesn't really look like it's interacting, it looks like it was done after the cg was rendered?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
nfrancisj
vfx rulezz!!!

portfolio
Nicholas Joseph
Compositor
Dreamspark
Los Angeles, USA

Thank you for taking the time to review th3ta. Unfortunally I'm only the comp guy. All I was given are the EXR sequence. I don't have access to the 3d files. (its just a 3d project among friends which I hope to put in my demo reel).

There are details on the wall...but I washed them out...for the good

The side of the car does look dull. I'll add some reflections on the side to make it more active. Its pretty glossy in the pass, but I may have lowered it too much. I'll look into that.

As for the shadow, are you talking about the one on the ground? or the cast on the car? As far as I know the tunnel is only half built; only what you see. I asked for the full tunnel so that reflections, shadows and light affect both sides, but 3d artist don't like to be told how to make stuff. :( but anyway.... I'll try to project the wall onto the car so that it works as reflection.

and yes, the lighting is all post 3d work. The basic comp in the video with the black looking car and wall, before I go into the breakdown, is what I got as 3d render.

Thank you very much for your comments.
I hope to post a new render this afternoon.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
thetathink

portfolio
3D Generalist
In a dark office
USA

For the shadow on the car, I was mainly talking about the horizontal shadow along the bottom of the car. In the reference commercial, it moves a lot, depending on the direction of the lighting, whereas on yours it stays pretty static. Maybe changing the shape of the shadow to match the lighting may help.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread