The "Soon" is NOW

portfolio
Nobody Knows
USA

Rocket Engine, Soon2banimator (3D)

Title: Rocket Engine
Name: Soon2banimator
Software: 3dsmax & Photoshop

This is a rocket engine i modeled and textured its not too great i dont think because i have a hard time making metal look dirty but Eh? what the heck..... tell me what you think

-S2bA

Old 08-14-2004, 04:23 AM   #2
Soon2bAnimator
The "Soon" is NOW

portfolio
Nobody Knows
USA

any sugessions at all ?

Old 08-14-2004, 06:02 AM   #3
Reinier
Frequenter

portfolio
Reinier Lensink
2mghi
Netherlands

Hey,

You can dirty up textures fast by taking quality photos of, for example: concrete, metal, or any other "dirty" surface and then blend them in Photoshop over your base texture. (Overlay usually does the job) But watchout, only use it to get some chaos in your texture.

Also try to play with brush settings and making your own custom brushes. This way you can make textured brushes with which you can add details.

Your model seems fine. Maybe add a few more little details ( i dont know if you are planning on making the complete rocket driven vehicle). Its indeed the shading and texturing that needs more work.

Keep it up.

Reinier.

Old 08-14-2004, 08:31 AM   #4
Wiz-Wiz-Wiz
Frequenter

portfolio
Paul Johnson
Computer and Video Games Producer
Manchester, United Kingdom

How do,

The model is looking good, texture needs work though as you said but on its way to looking cool, as well as dirtying up the textures I think it looks odd that the yellow metal texture appears on the inside of the turbine(?)

Also the cables that run in the middle section appear to go into a simple plane, which looks a little odd, add more detail into their connection points, and as Reiner said as some more finer detail overall to the model. Some of the edge on the lower part of the engine also look a little hard, so smooth these out...

Well hope this helps, sorry I couldnt give more detailed model/texture advice I am a (frustrated) noob at this 3D malarkey stuff so learning myself.

:O)

Old 08-16-2004, 02:59 PM   #5
Soon2bAnimator
The "Soon" is NOW

portfolio
Nobody Knows
USA

Reinier- thanx for the dirt tip im definatly going to try that, i wasn't planning on modeling the whole rocket but now that you menshion it, i think i might

The Wiz- yeah the inside of the turbine has the yellow texture inside its a strange muli sub problem i was having where max keeps screwing up the id's for the silver rim on the edge and the yellow on the inside...i think it has something to do with where the texture starts and ends..i havent really been able to figure it out yet

thanx guys for your critiques...anyone else have any comments?

Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread