Old 04-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #16
sirio
Expert
Stefano Strika
architect
rome, Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquires
Having said that I am tempted by the new Razer laptops that can be expanded with eGPU enclosure.

You can use external enclosure right now on both your dustbin and any other TB enabled Mac.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #17
TequilaGeoff
Explorer
portfolio

Apple's business model revolves around selling 'the best' turn-key, ready-rolled products. Everything soldered to 1 board with no expansion slots, like big iPhones. CG / VFX systems prefer configurability and upgradability so that you can get the most CPU speed / CUDA cores and ram for your $$$. Because GPUs advance so fast, you really want this to be upgradable, but Apple no longer provide any new generation hardware options that support this.

Apple also happens to have by far the worlds best OS IMO. So, really if you want configurable hardware on the Rolls Royce of operating systems, then Hackintosh is the only way to go. Mac Pro's pricing puts it out of reach of many, and I think Apple is acknowledging that there is a niche group of users for which there is no appropriate product, hence they are relaxing their position on custom hardware setups. It means potentially more people on App Store, and if you use macOS on your workstation, you're likely to choose Apple when you want a laptop. Because of this I think we'll see the trend toward 'unofficial support' of non apple hardware on macOS continue in future.

The best of both worlds course is a dual-boot Hackintosh. That way you can have the pleasure of using macOS unless you absolutely need windows for something, and then its only a reboot away.

Last edited by TequilaGeoff : 04-18-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #18
ChrisCousins
Lance for Hire

portfolio
Chris Cousins
Lance For Hire
Brighton, United Kingdom

I've made the PC jump, so this isn't a personal recommendation or anything, but there's a few companies popping up filling the gap Apple has left with custom-build cheese-grater Macs, including Titan/1080Ti cards, faster processors etc and they're guaranteed, so no need to worry about compatibility. Example here:

https://create.pro/upgrade

They're not cheap of course, and you're compromising quite a bit compared to a similar price PC, but if sticking with OSX is holding you back then these machines are an option at least.

They're also offering upgraded trash-can Macs, but these are less interesting - £2k for a single CUDA card in an enclosure is just too steep IMO.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #19
Pixla
Explorer

portfolio
Andree Markefors
Switzerland

I have a pretty maxed out 4.1 --> 5.1 Mac Pro. The 1080 Ti isn't really available in Switzerland yet, but I'll drop one or two of those in there as soon as I get my hands on one.

With Nvidia's latest driver support pledge, I think the classic Mac Pro is a viable option until the new Macs get here—if you're already invested in MacOS.

The modifications can be easily made with a little patience. The Mac Pro forum at Macrumors.com has all the answers.

Obviously, for people who enjoy Windows, there is great price/performance when building a PC.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 AM   #20
TequilaGeoff
Explorer
portfolio

Little example of benefits of custom hardware..
I built my machine in late 2009, i7 930, 12gigs and ATI 5770.

Fastforward to now, I picked up a Xeon 6 core which runs at 4.0ghz (with a small boost) for $150 from eBay, another 12 gigs, and a GTX 960.

So with a few upgrades a 7+ year old machine beats the latest iMacs.

But I would never give up macOS. The few times that I do boot into windows, I'm quickly reminded by virus checker pop-ups, malware scanners, inevitable frustration of nondescript error windows, and the temptation to waste hours tweaking settings and installing 3rd party utilities to make it nice, that Windows is a place you only want to hang out as long as you have to.

Windows is fairly good these days, and if thats all you know you'll probably love it. But if you're used to macOS, just bare in mind you're going to feel a sacfrice has been made.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:25 AM   #21
luisRiera
Expert
portfolio
luis Riera
Graphics designer
America Television
Lima, Peru

I don't see the point of having a Mac, if most plugins only work in windows... and yes you can install Windows on a Mac.. and again.. whats the point in having a Mac if you are doing that?

Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 AM   #22
Blinny
Molded By the Dark

portfolio
Blinny
CAD, Motion, Freelance
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan
CheeseGraters don't need eGPU. They have 3 plug and play PCI slots...two of the slots that can hold a 1080 e.g.

Good call. Earlier I was thinking the driver's OS requirement was later than what the cheese graters run but apparently 2009 or later still run up to 10.12.x? Am almost positive I read (around the time of its release), that most 2009 and earlier Macs won't run 10.12.x. Been a long time since I tried installing an OS on any of those models though.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:45 AM   #23
IceCaveMan
Expert
portfolio
Craig Wall
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinny
Good call. Earlier I was thinking the driver's OS requirement was later than what the cheese graters run but apparently 2009 or later still run up to 10.12.x? Am almost positive I read (around the time of its release), that most 2009 and earlier Macs won't run 10.12.x. Been a long time since I tried installing an OS on any of those models though.

Just this week I just upgraded my 2009 MacPro to Sierra (10.12). That is necessary to get the Nvidia drivers w/CUDA. No issues at all. Just worked. The new Nvidia drivers even work w/the aging Nvidia 680 that's inside.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #24
sirio
Expert
Stefano Strika
architect
rome, Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisRiera
if most plugins only work in windows

Show us the number. I work with Cinema since version 5 and my experience tells me that most plugin do work also on Mac and only a small percentage are Windows only. I know that you can easily cherry pick up a few that doesn't work but the vast majority will run fine.
A developer must not be that smart to leave on the table the money from almost half the Maxons user base(this are actual number).

Old 04-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #25
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisRiera
I don't see the point of having a Mac, if most plugins only work in windows... and yes you can install Windows on a Mac.. and again.. whats the point in having a Mac if you are doing that?

Most plugins that are only available for Windows or OS X but not both depend on OS specific libraries that are just not available on other operating systems. The rest is usually due to the developer not having access to a compile system for the other platform, but in the past there were several example sof other developers helping out with this.
By far the majority of all plugins is available on both platforms and yes,as sirio points out, despite Apple not pushing their workstations as much as they used to the number of OS X and Windows Cinema 4D users is pretty much en par.

reply share thread