Ramped transparency

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Ramped transparency

Hi--

My goal is to use an animation to illustrate a weld bead in progress. I've created a extruded NURBS surface and applied a shader (shader network attached below). I attached a ramp node to the transparency channel of the material and keyed the ramp to reveal the material as a V-ramp. I've used this technique successfully before.

However, in this case, I'm seeing a non-animating black image of the weld surface as shown in the IPR screenshot attached. This image isn't seen in the High-quality rendered viewport (screenshot attached) nor in Viewport 2.0. In fact, nothing of the weld bead is seen in VP 2.0.

I've fiddled with just about every attribute of every node while in IPR, yet so far have been unable to eradicate the black image.

I'm getting pretty frustrated, and sure would appreciate any thoughts or observations.

Thanks in advance!

--Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RampTransparency-thing.jpg (18.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Viewport.jpg (9.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Shader-network.jpg (20.9 KB, 6 views)

05 May 2013
You will also need to connect the ramp to specular too if you are using basic Maya materials. I think you might be better off using an mia_material_X and putting the ramp in cutout opacity.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread