Why bother with CG schools?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2004
I’m thinking that for some people computer education will come from an exposure to computer technology these days. You buy a computer or someone has a computer in your household that you make use of. Actually one could even pass on any computer skills that they know to their own children.

We have to face the fact that computer tech is not a stagnate form of technology. You can pop the hood of our pops old Chevy then go to the local library and get a few books and tinker with its engine. Computer tech is always on the move. Even a fortune 500 company can fall out of the loop if they don’t keep up with the trends in computer tech. So I figure that some schools can also be behind in many areas of computer tech. Often networking with people is your be bet for drawing a quick straight line to meet your career goals as far as computers are concerned. I find that with computers no “one” person is “THE” expert on anything. You need as many credible opinions as you can get on any computer related subject.

The do-it-yourself method works when it comes to learning anything on a computer. The group learning method can be too generalized for all intended purposes. Computers are personal tools and one size rarely fits all. I remember with the Dot.com era everyone was talking about ECommerce as being the best thing to learn as a web site builder. Many of the pure information content sites are still around but most of the Ecommerce based sited failed mostly due to overconfidence in that trend over the old standby that the web was built for. The web is an information network first and last.

If you learn anything especially if it is job related you should first study trends in that industry past and present. History can teach us how to deal with certain aspects for everything.

I like traditional methods applied to new technology. For one thing the traditional approach is tested and proven and it even works without the computer.

For instance what if you are a commercial media computer art designer who has no traditional design drawing skills? Say you are working with this client laying out the framework of some logo design that he or she needs in a hour. It’s a logo for a special one time promotion or what not. And your computer crashes and your power goes out. What do you do? Do you do sit looking at the dead computer screen? If you know traditional ad design commercial art design techniques you pull out your drawing tools and finish up the logo on paper then rush out to get it printed up. The client thanks you and says that you have saved their presentation.

Computers are not the cure all they are just calculators and data storage devices. Right now after years of using computers my goal is to gain total control over my computer so that I can dictate every kind of work that is done on it without it being a limiting factor to me software or hardware wise.

I think that a good education is important from a school or otherwise. It is always better to know more than less. But in the end if all of the knowledge that you learn is not practical to your own living experience then it is of little value.

I think that real world knowledge holds more weight than " just" book knowledge any day. That’s why you have to network with others to see how things work for them in the real world.

I favor real world education to methodological education any day.

Last edited by JA-forreal : 04 April 2004 at 11:04 AM.

04 April 2004
One thing is sure,I want Jack's opinion on my first reel

04 April 2004
I envy people who have knowledgable teachers to ask while on good 3d courses.

There have been so many times as I've been trying to learn 3d that I've had a problem and have spent hours and hours trying to sort it out, and in the end its just been a simple solution that an expert could have explained to me in a few seconds.

I know its probably good to work things out yourself but it would be nice to be somewhere in the middle.

If it wasn't for this site I'd have no chance.

Last edited by Iotrez : 04 April 2004 at 03:51 PM.

04 April 2004
I had a few good examples but the machine is working against me today.

So let me just say that this is the beauty of open source:

to even give fools a chance at enlightenment.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread