Old 08-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
kostet1977
Explorer
kostet
W-net
kiev, Ukraine

Avoiding inter-frames keys.

Hi, guys,
I have one old problem, which , I guess, should be disturbing enough for most of MB users. Then I'm plotting skeleton (or control rig, doesn't matter) or merging layers, these guys appear - keys between frames. It's annoying me much and makes my curves harder to edit.
As for me it's obvious that by default all of keys should be placed on the frames, not between them. So i don't have a clue why MB creators made it out this way. I also could assume, that I don't understand something about this issue. In this case would somebody be so kind to explain me why i need those keys between frames.

But i will be more appreciated if you suggest a way to avoid it. I need a recipe for two cases - plotting and merging layers (because they have different set of options).

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
bilbob
Expert
portfolio
Matt Simecek
berkley, United States Minor Outlying Islands

on the right end of the timeline there is a snap to frames option. i think this might be what your looking for. if not i'm very curious to other solutions

if i had to guess i'd say what your seeing is there just you might want to stretch out the keys to make the motion slower.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
kostet1977
Explorer
kostet
W-net
kiev, Ukraine

Thank you for suggestion bilbob, but I've got this option always on, and no - that is not the solution I'm searching for. "Snap to frames" is only for the time slider itself, it makes him unable to move between frames,just jumping precisely from frame to frame.
But i was talking not about keys which i set during animation, or stretching the range of keys.
I need a solution for plotting and merging layers. In this case Motionbuilder producing all of the keys itself, using the algorithms determined by a set of options, which, i believe, could be set the right way to get the needed result.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

A couple of things to check in the Plot dialog. Make sure you have Plot On Frames selected and your Plot Rate matches the frame rate (fps) of the project.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
kostet1977
Explorer
kostet
W-net
kiev, Ukraine

Thanks for your advice, Richard, but I believe that Plot on frames is checked by default, and of course my frame rate is the same in the plot dialogue and on the time slider. Anyway now I can't reproduce my issue after I changed my frame rate from 24 to 30, plot animation, and then change it back again.
But now a have the other silly stuff - for some reasons MB doesn't want to merge the layers. It appears the merge dialogue, but than i hit Merge button, nothing happens - there are still 2 layers with its own keyframes. The only way to collapse the result to the lowest layer is to plot it. But why?! What happened with my MB? Or my file?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

It does sound as if something odd is happening. Are you working with Mocap data at all?

If you can reproduce any of this with some steps that made it happen again, file a bug report.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
kostet1977
Explorer
kostet
W-net
kiev, Ukraine

Thanks to all, guys, but i think i've found the solution myself. To have only-on-frames keys, we need to turn off rotation filter (set it to "none"), however in this case we're taking a risk to get gimbal lock (which is very bad).

Old 08-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread