Transitioning from Games to VFX: Bournemouth NCCA Masters?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by maverickhornet: Thank you for the advice mr bob. I understand that my reel isn't really that high in detail. It's aimed at environment art for games and to be efficient in a real-time game engine, rather than a photo-real render for a film.

What I'm trying to do is make the transition from doing low-poly game art to high detail assets that are fit for film. I understand nothing on my website represents that and I don't expect it to.

I personally struggle to find direction on my own. This is why I am looking towards Bournemouth... not really for the fact it'll guarantee improvement in my work but rapidly point me in the direction needed to get the right skills needed in VFX as I seriously lack them. The attraction to Bournemouth comes from being able to make contacts with industry (Industry come down from VFX studios in London every Friday apparently) and gain first hand knowledge... I think the trouble with my work is not that it needs to improve, it's just geared towards the wrong industry. I've been talking with friends and they personally think my work is fine (who are in VFX) but say I just need help in focusing it more towards film rather than Game Environments. The 3D skills are there... I just need that bump in the right direction.

That's my latest personal view on it anyway.

No sure I buy that, you need to grasp the nettle and get on with it clearly Sups have looked at your reel and its not what they are looking for. I certainly don't think you need to go to Bournemouth to change that.

B

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by mr Bob: No sure I buy that, you need to grasp the nettle and get on with it clearly Sups have looked at your reel and its not what they are looking for. I certainly don't think you need to go to Bournemouth to change that.

B

Thanks for your advice Mr bob, I do really appreciate it. I'm thinking of doing the Matchmoving in 3D Equalizer course just advertised on here. A lot of companies is London seem to have many entry level roles in Matchmoving it seems. A good thing to start with perhaps? For a future in 3D...?

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by maverickhornet: Thanks for your advice Mr bob, I do really appreciate it. I'm thinking of doing the Matchmoving in 3D Equalizer course just advertised on here. A lot of companies is London seem to have many entry level roles in Matchmoving it seems. A good thing to start with perhaps? For a future in 3D...?

Dont bother its a dead end with no future and poor pay. Gone are the days where you joined as a junior and worked up the ranks by doing tracking and roto etc. Firms hire juniors for each department. From the stuff I have seen from you I see
Texture artist
Lighting artist

The other thing that firms really want are technical skills. Do you have any like shader writing , python etc etc.

b

05 May 2013
so, what is it that you don't like from working in games and think that will be better in films?

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by metamesh: so, what is it that you don't like from working in games and think that will be better in films?

I've always wanted to work in film since my early teens. Until I went to University I didn't know the film VFX industry was so large (I know, naive...) and that it's actually possible to made a career out of it in the UK. By that time, it was too late to jump ship and change courses. I enjoy working in the Games Industry but my interest in genres is extremely narrow to that of film... I get way more excited watching the latest releases in the cinema than I do for any game released (bar a few). I'm not great at explaining really... I just get this feeling of regret when I watch something with kick-ass VFX and 3D as I that's what I feel I really want to do inside.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by maverickhornet: I've always wanted to work in film since my early teens. Until I went to University I didn't know the film VFX industry was so large (I know, naive...) and that it's actually possible to made a career out of it in the UK. By that time, it was too late to jump ship and change courses. I enjoy working in the Games Industry but my interest in genres is extremely narrow to that of film... I get way more excited watching the latest releases in the cinema than I do for any game released (bar a few). I'm not great at explaining really... I just get this feeling of regret when I watch something with kick-ass VFX and 3D as I that's what I feel I really want to do inside.

well I understand what you are saying, but I feel like vfx and games are closely related when it comes to 3D, softwares are the same etc etc, I've worked both in films and games and again I find that they are pretty much related, so IF i was in your position, I wouldn't waste any time going to any university just to get into the film industry, I'd try to make some portfolio that is closer to the sort of stuff done in films ( if is modelling what you are after, make a few nice models, with good anatomy, good topology, etc ) and present those to vfx companyies, I'm sure if they are happy with what they see, they will approach even if you don't have film experience ( something really important to understand is that no matter how good you may be, if a company is not hiring at that time, they are not going to offer you a position ) agan all this is just my opinion based on my own experience, I did the switch to film and I didn't have any experience on it, I just applied to a few companyies and got approached by a couple of them,..again i don't see much differences and I konw plenty of people who has worked on both films and games and they didn't have to do any university training to do so, in my opinion you will just waste time money and probably motivation by going back to uni...

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by metamesh: well I understand what you are saying, but I feel like vfx and games are closely related when it comes to 3D, softwares are the same etc etc, I've worked both in films and games and again I find that they are pretty much related, so IF i was in your position, I wouldn't waste any time going to any university just to get into the film industry, I'd try to make some portfolio that is closer to the sort of stuff done in films ( if is modelling what you are after, make a few nice models, with good anatomy, good topology, etc ) and present those to vfx companyies, I'm sure if they are happy with what they see, they will approach even if you don't have film experience ( something really important to understand is that no matter how good you may be, if a company is not hiring at that time, they are not going to offer you a position ) agan all this is just my opinion based on my own experience, I did the switch to film and I didn't have any experience on it, I just applied to a few companyies and got approached by a couple of them,..again i don't see much differences and I konw plenty of people who has worked on both films and games and they didn't have to do any university training to do so, in my opinion you will just waste time money and probably motivation by going back to uni...

So everyone keeps saying to me... You're stuff is really inspiring and exactly the thing I want to be doing. Not sure if you had it too when you started but it just feels like ramping my artwork up from game to film level is a massive jump. I understand the industries are very similar, it's the small things that confuse me and I don't quite understand yet. Such as texture size for a film model, polygon count, UVing a high-polygon model, how to make something photo real rather than looking like a 'game asset'. Do you still do bakes to lower-polygon models or it all done at as high resolution as possible? You're right along with everyone else that I don't need to do University, it just the direction I needed. How did you transfer you're skills from games to film? It's nice hearing an opinion from a 3D artist as well in London seeing as that's where I would love to end up being.

05 May 2013
there is no really any mistery, just check works from other people on the main cg forums, check the best ones, and try to match that sort of quality, both technically and artistically, keep pushing urself and be critic with your own work, see why something is not working and try to push it till you think its there...in my own experience, I just kept pushing my models cos is what I enjoyed doing and I couldn't do that at work while working on ps2 games so I was always doing stuff at home till what I had seemed good enough to aim for a job in films and I guess i got lucky and got the job...just keep doing stuff and try to push the quality bar on your own work..

05 May 2013
I guess that really makes a lot of sense. A simple case of practice makes perfect... I suppose its that fear of not getting better that holds me back or progressing slowly. Though I need to get over it and just start working. I think I'm going to start out with something small and work as hard as I can to make it as realistic as possible and like you say keep pushing it. Break out some anatomy books as well to practice some organic modelling as well.

Thanks a lot for the advice metamesh, it really means a lot

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread