adding asymmetry to a human head - at what time?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2010
adding asymmetry to a human head - at what time?

Hi,

I just have finished reading jason osipa´s brilliant book "stop staring" - recommended!

I have one question regarding the workflow:

when following the workflow provided in the book, at which point would you recommend adding asymmetry to a character? I don´t mean asymmetric detail which will be taken care of by the displacement maps but the asymmetry of the basic face (skull) form.

regards m

02 February 2010
I'd do it after I finished the Head (finished as in a complete symmetrical finished head...).

(The following is using Max...)
Model one half of the Head, apply Symmetry Modifier and add a edit Poly Modifier on top of the Symmetry. Then tweak the head using Soft Selection until your satisfied with the asymmetry.

02 February 2010
This might give me a hard time when it comes to blendshapes (the head is getting animated later, HD, close ups)

I hope that there might be an established workflow how to add asymmetry after creating blendshapes without disturbing the blendshapes

at the moment I plan to create a blendshape for the (skull-)asymmetry that I will turn to 1 when it comes to animation;
So I can create the blendshapes using the symmetric head - and if I want to test if they also work with the asymmetric head, I just turn the asymmetric blendshape up to 1 and check if the blendshapes still work.

hope I am right with this approach

02 February 2010
You could use additive blendshapes. So for example: just stack an asymmetrically tweaked version of smirk/frown/whatever on top.

02 February 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread