Why are grayscale images used for heightmaps?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2018
Why are grayscale images used for heightmaps?

This seems like a silly question, but what is it about raster grayscale images that makes them so common to generate a heightmap from?

Working from a large, like a really large raster image has it's own problems, and i'm wondering if something else to generate heightmaps exist.
Like could a lattice of elevation points be generated, basically like a coordinate system, and then imported into a program.

03 March 2018
one reason, they are incredibly easy to edit in any image manipulation app. If there is not a actual need for over complication, keep it simple. Sure, there are other ways...like storing vertex data to represent height in 3d

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

03 March 2018
There is a vector displacement.

4 Weeks Ago
Depending what 3D app and/or renderer you use, you can also use a vector image (created in adobe illustrator for example) instead of a raster/bitmap as input.
In someting like illustrator you could blend between those elevation lines with a gradient and save them to a vector file format like AI, EPS, SVG, ... (no pixels).
But after some quick testing this is not advised as vector images seem to get processed as 8bit images, which is too low to use for displacement. I don't know why though, there should be no reason to limit vector graphics in such a way... Hopefully this gets adressed soon. (I tested this in 3ds max, might be that other software handles them in a better way.)
*edit: after a quick google i found out adobe illustrator only supports 8bit per channel... which explains why i couldn't get more accuracy out of it. I hope this will change in the near future.

This is not the same as 'vector displacement' mentioned by Mister3D.

Yes terminology can get confusing sometimes... Just google for more info;
Vector displacement
Vector image/drawing

Last edited by ACiD80 : 4 Weeks Ago at 10:30 PM.

4 Weeks Ago
I think that the grayscale thing is actually a hold from the old, pre-GPU days. It's all about simplicity. Think about it.

If the dimensions of the image map represent the X & Y coordinates then the color represents Z.

Why grayscale though? The logic is pretty straight forward.

1. It doesn't matter what channel you look up. R, G, & B will all contain the same Z value at that exact {X,Y} position. That's less for the programmer to worry about.
2. Compression. If R, G, & B all hold the same exact value then that's less data to store. Knowing the R is the same as knowing the B & G.
3. Cycling the Z values was also a sneaky way to morph the height and give the illusion of movement across terrain. That was a trick that 64k demo type coders were fond of back in the day.

From a technical perspective, there's a method to the madness. Back in the days where storage was at a premium and you had to pray that the render PC had a FPU, tricks like this were a godsend.

Last edited by cookepuss : 4 Weeks Ago at 03:09 AM.

reply share thread