Recommend me a VFX School :)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #1
Question Recommend me a VFX School :)

(Will be updating if I missed something)
Hey!, I have a large history but I will just shorten it up, will also skip personal details, I always appreciate people who take their time to read and reply

I will quit where I'm studying at the moment, because of three reasons:
1.- I don't really feel I'm learning there, I've learn more by myself.
2.- I've been told that this Industry is about talent and not about a degree that says I can do it.
3.- I feel I'm wasting my parents money to learn to do low quality work.

Sounds fool but my instinct says I'm really losing my time there, but, I'm afraid that point #2 isn't quite right, so I just wanna study somewhere where I can actually feel that I'm really learning, and not losing my time in really awful works.

I wish I didn't sound like "Oh yeah, I'm a boss, fuck university, #yolo", because I'm not, just wanted to point it out buddies.

So I'm open to VFX School recomendations, it could be either General VFX or Specific VFX department, price doesn't matter, just tell me a really good university and where's it, If you know some in Canada or Houston, please point it out, I really appreciate help, also if you think I should just study by myself just say it and tell me why.

NOT's:
1.- Vancouver Film School
2.- New York Film Academy

Old 11 November 2013   #2
Are you talking about undergrad or graduate?

First, it is my philosophy that having a degree can be very useful in the future and all animators should have some college degree preferably in an animation related subject..

Also, VFX involves a LOT of things such as character animation, particles and dynamics, rigging, lighting , skinning and texturing and much more. Since you may not know exactly what area is of most interest to you, I recommend a general degree that will expose you to all of the above. In addition, most of the sophisticated VFX is taught in 3d using Maya. Thus, attending a school that has a strong 3d emphasis would be beneficial.

Among the better schools for this is Ringling, School of Visual Arts, Rochester Institute of Tech, Pratt, SCAD maybe UCLA and USC ,but I think they are primarily 2 d oriented, Sheridan Institute etc. Many of these schools have strong 2d offerings too. Just check these and others like them out. I am somewhat familiar to varying degrees with the ones that I mentioned. I am sure there are other programs that I haven't mentioned because of my lack of knowledge about them such as San Jose State University, BYU, University of Utah, FSU et. al.

Finally, if you have a degree, there are a number of broad based trade programs such as Gnomon School of Visual Effects.

Old 11 November 2013   #3
Originally Posted by taxguy: First, it is my philosophy that having a degree can be very useful in the future

Thanks a lot dude, I will check out all of them and yea, I want a degree, but in a place where I really learn thanks again!

Old 11 November 2013   #4
Vancouver School

Hello there!
I know that many people doubt whether training at a school is worth the time and money, but based on my experience, if you invest your time and money in the right training, it totally is!
If you're still interested, may I recommend Think Tank Training Centre to you? It's in Vancouver, Canada and I'm currently finishing my studies there. It is a one year diploma program with very positive reviews and I personally would rate it among the top schools in Vancouver for quality training. I learned more during the one year than I thought was possible. I entered the school with no knowledge of CG or anything pertaining to the pipeline of movie/game production. Even after the first semester, I was shocked by what I could do and how much I'd learned! Think Tank has very small class sizes and I think this is one of the main reasons why they have such positive reviews and the student work is overall, very solid. The other reason I would recommend it is the mentorship semester. Even though all of the teachers are already current industry professionals, once a week in third semester you'll have a personal mentor to critique your work and teach you about the industry pipeline. There's so much more to say, but if you have more questions, there are many more reviews on artschoolreviews.ca and you can find out more about the school on their website.
I hope that this helped a little bit and I wish you luck with your decision making!
-The Dragon Cause

Old 11 November 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread