Imitating sticky fluids

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Imitating sticky fluids

Hi guys.

Pretty new to particles in that advanced forms, when u can't simulate it physically accurate, but instead have to move to a fakey ways. Quite new to this and looking for a way to simulate sticky glue fluids.

Initial goal, is to create a system, which will fire a "bullet" full of particles (imagine liquid sphere with no gravity applied), that will track an object, wrap around it at some offset and form a force field, which will follow animated object.

I tried realflow - both sph and hybrido failed to create desired effect:
- Hybrido2 just can't be THAT controllable: magic daemon creates nice effect at start - wraping effect is great looking and... well.... it looked good, BUT, it is very sensitive to baked object velocities and when object start to move all the hybrido particles just do not move with object (do not stick to it, but rather fly away). That is pretty normal to me, as if we think of this particles as a liquid it is normal. More or less. The problem - u don't have any daemon, that will control motion sensitivity or stickyness (or how that may be called )
- SPH - very, very, very slow. Magic with nearest mode on (for a 20k object) - just very, painfuly slow. Random face helps a bit, but it doesn't wrap around WHOLE object. Morphing - just looks terribly wrong to me. Tho u can control sim with many daemons. Yes. But whole sim is very unstable and guess what - particles do not follow animated object in a way, it should to me!

Now. I came to a conclusion, that I need to try any other solvers around.

Naiad - u don't have convinient way to create an attractive field right out of the box. I found a script, that make morphing easy, but I can't find a way to attract a "glue bullet" to a body, with collisions, I don't need glue to fill in the object... There's surely a way to make naiad work, but guys - it is very complex to me atm

glu3d - it wraps whole object with ease, but GPU version seems not supporting the object attractors and plain version is slow (maybe someone can help with glu - will appreciate that )

maya nParticles - particles with goal filled properly, follows the object very good, but, I can't form good-looking wrapping effect (I know, u may say - man, ru crazy, u need glue, that form like water, then will stop being water, and form freakingly looking future glue fluid... ). Also, nParticles by default attracts to a vertex, forming weird at meshing mess.

3dsmax mParticles - they just don't form the shape. If not using mParticles - plain pflow particles don't behave like fluid. I have to teach 'em how to do that.

Now, week is passed. So, I need to find a way, to make this fx fast I never used TP and think, that I need to buy expensive tutorials, to even start Very C# way of doing sims...

So. Will anybody help me PlzPlzPlz

Old 09 September 2013   #2
PhoenixFD maybe? I saw some decent water sims with it.

Old 09 September 2013   #3
No surface tension - for a grid based approach it is vital to have some internal watery stuff :(
But phx mainly is a smoke/fire simulator

Sir, do u have any thoughts ?

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Hey Hey Privet Paul,

I did a quick test with Pflow. The trick for faking fluids with pflow is using two systems. One parent system who uses only a a handful of particles and one child system that creates the bulk of the fluid so many many more particles.. in terms of movement the Parent does its own thing. And the children are attracted to the parents but also try to pull themselves apart if they get too close to each other in order to maintain volume. Check out the preview , I'm not sure if this is what you are going for or not?

nickolation.com/tests/StickyForcefield_Frost_v02.zip

Cheers,
N

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Hi

Yeah, looks promising. Did u try mparticles ? They look very dynamic.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
No mparticles. Mostly vanilla with a random walk flavor. I see we've found each other on skype.

Cheers,
Nick

Old 09 September 2013   #7
Hey Paul, when u solve this please show us the results and solution if u have some time.
Thank's

Particle-Skull.com

Last edited by AlvaroMoreira : 09 September 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #8
Hey Nikolay, you got such a cool effect with this! How do you create the bulk of particles with the second event? How do you attract the children to the parent? ADM?

Thank's

Particle-Skull.com

Old 11 November 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread