MR 2014 crashes rendering nparticle instanced geometry...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
MR 2014 crashes rendering nparticle instanced geometry...

A little bird told me that if one was to render an instanced poly object based on nParticles on OS X 10.8.3 with Mental Ray, Maya will crash to the Finder. Are any other little birds having this problem or is it just me? Or rather my friend...I mean that darn bird ;-)

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Autodesk has logged this issue as reproducible and a defect. Support also asked me how important mental ray was to my work...hmm...let me think about that one

Old 04 April 2013   #3
They want to know if they should support sooner plug-in updates probably.

mental ray is a separate plug-in now and they aren't certain how often they need to update the translator.

Previously nothing was updated until a new Maya was out.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Bitter: mental ray is a separate plug-in now and they aren't certain how often they need to update the translator.

Update? Yeah...I guess they always are a step or two behind. And I really feel like things have kind of cooled off with innovations from them or MR or whoever is driving that train. Maybe it's just my misperception but I had assumed by now there would be some kind of GPU enhanced render viewport thingy or something. Maybe most of the developers are working on real-time and mobile graphics.

But presently, I'd be happy if the shipping version would work as advertised. I just rendered 360 frames out on a farm and for some reason 30 frames didn't write. Probably some weird non-Maya related Samba server permission issues. But when I launch the UI to kick off a manual batch with "Skip existing frames" clicked so it'll sniff out the missing frames for me...it just sits there. Saves the temp file...kicks off the MayaBatch Process...but pulls 0.0% CPU and never starts rendering. When you try and cancel the batch it says it can't because it never started.

Open the same project on a Win7 box and it happily renders the missing frames.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by kevinseven: Open the same project on a Win7 box and it happily renders the missing frames.

Then maybe it's something else.

Originally Posted by kevinseven: Maybe it's just my misperception but I had assumed by now there would be some kind of GPU enhanced render viewport thingy or something.

Maybe some mis-perception. I know a lot of people look at Vray RT but Vray RT is designed (and marketed) as a preview for Vray. iray is not a preview for mental ray. iray is a complete rendering solution (with BDPT and MLT) for a different industry. CPU renderers still have an edge for flexibility.

Progressive IPR should be much faster than it is in Maya, this is because they are not using the correct API in Maya. . .yet. The integration examples for progressive/interactive are pretty impressive. I expect in time this will come to Maya. Previously Autodesk was not sharing the code for the translator. Now they share the development with nVidia.

You will also have access to GPU Ambient Occlusion from inside Maya 2014, we'll be going over how to do that on the blog at a later date.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Originally Posted by kevinseven: A little bird told me that if one was to render an instanced poly object based on nParticles on OS X 10.8.3 with Mental Ray, Maya will crash to the Finder. Are any other little birds having this problem or is it just me? Or rather my friend...I mean that darn bird ;-)

I got exactly the same problem wit maya2014 on OSX 10.8.3.
I hope they'll fix it.

Old 08 August 2013   #7
sorry for bumping this old topic again but...

There is still nothing to solve the issue? It's been a while and SP2 does not seem to fix it.

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread