Where can I learn 3D Animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 06 June 2014   #1
Where can I learn 3D Animation

Hi guys, so I'm about to Graduate in computer science but I would like to branch out to 3D Animation. My only problem is I don't know which universities to apply to. Since its a masters(Doesnt have to be a masters just dont want it to be longer than 2 years) I want to try and get the best out of it, so I would like to find a good uni where what they teach really benefits their students. Ive looked at a few but its hard to judge from just the course description. If anybody could suggest/describe some good unis that do animation that would really help thanks.

I would love to do a course over in the states but I have seen they are all relatively expensive. So I would like to stick to the EU or anywhere that teaches in English

I know the basics in Maya and cinema 4D

Old 06 June 2014   #2
How about the online iAnimate or AnimationMentor schools? I have done the first term of iAnimate, and it was one of the best educational experiences I have had (and I went to University). Also a lot of fun with extremely experienced instructors all working at large 3d animation studios.

And quite affordable, and you will not need to leave your house for it ;-)

Old 07 July 2014   #3
If you can't spend a lot of money, maybe your could try Digital Tutors.

Old 07 July 2014   #4
Considering how long it takes to really master the fundamentals of CGI, I'd say any two year university course is likely to be a waste of your time and money, as you simply wouldn't learn enough to make it worthwhile. I'd recommend instead learning on your own via alternative means, like tutorials sites and such.

Old 07 July 2014   #5
Self-taught avenues as everyone here has suggested is really in my honest opinion the optimal way forward in respect to your query plus I might add thousands of $$$ less expensive & in addition the bonus of self-paced learning workflow comes to mind.

There are many viable routes to explore ie: online courses/workshops, sub-fee CGI learning hub's, free video-text-screencap'd pipelines...etc, anyway adding to what had been previously mentioned here are some options I'd recommend for consideration:

- Animation Mentor a basic animation in Maya 6wk workshop which also includes a 3yr active student Maya, Mudbox, 3DS Max licence plus more at US$599

- Lynda.com for Cinema4D animation courses

- DigT's Maya sub-fee animation tutes

- DigT's Cinema4D sub-fee animation tutes

...hopefully the links will provide in some detail an overview of what is available.

Cheers ;)

Old 07 July 2014   #6
After you learn the tools of the program on a site kind of digital tutors, undesrtanding the basic of a walk cycle for example, I suggest you try to follow the listed assignments on the link below:

51 great animation exercises

VIMEO USER

reply share thread