3D Body Scans:Licensing / release terms when hiring models?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
3D Body Scans:Licensing / release terms when hiring models?

Considering putting together a photogrammetry shoot with a bunch of hired talent (models in this case) to fill out some gaps in our 3D entourage when I realized I know nothing about the legal considerations on the use of the talent's likeness. Additionally if the results are decent enough I'm considering reselling the resulting models after re-topo and rigging similar to what you might find at axyz Design. I am assuming that the legal aspects of this are no different than that of normal photography that is then sold as stock. The talent is there on a work for hire basis with no royalties attached after the shoot. Anyone know first hand?

Seeing the highly detailed work Ten24 has been doing is what got me thinking about the legal ramifications. It seems to me you could have a AAA Game or animated feature or what have you centered around a likeness that was essentially a $500 half-day shoot. Seems not quite fair to that talent. So aside from my initial question I'm wondering where folks think this kind of work is heading? I guess it's not totally dissimilar to that of a concept artist getting a flat fee to create the likeness of a fictional character. Just curious.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
My Dad does press and other photography and there are many generic model release forms that apply to probably all aspects of image use, under the "any and all use" catch all in terms and conditions. You can download model release forms from the web and use them as-is, or adapt them to your own circumstances.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
You need to have talent sign a release in the same way that you do for a commercial photo shoot -- it's no different. The only thing that differs is that you need to clearly define the terms of your end usage in the agreement/contract. In almost all cases the talent is paid a one-off flat-fee for their contribution on the day of the shoot. Of course, if you want to work out some sort of percentage deal with the talent based on future sales, I guess that is entirely up to you but that is not something that I would encourage for a wide variety of reasons.

Cheers,

Joe

Certified Softimage Instructor
Ask about our 3D Scanning Services!

Meshmasters.com

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread