What photo viewing software do you use?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #31
did someone gave a try to mrviewer ?

Old 10 October 2012   #32
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia: There are whole folders with PSD files that I batch changed into Tifs just because of that.

Yeah since layered tiffs support everything a photoshop file does, I almost never save as a PSD anymore...

Old 10 October 2012   #33
Another Bridge refugee here. It's amazing how Adobe with all their skill, history and man power can develop (and maintain) such an atrocious piece of crap. It's the black sheep of their software portfolio.... after Flash that is.
So I simply use OSX Finder in Icon View mode set to large scaling and space bar Quick View to "full screen" it. Even over a network it's surprisingly fast.

Old 10 October 2012   #34
Originally Posted by leif3d: There's an RPM and a deb version of djv viewer. Doesn't that work for Ubuntu? If anything you should be able to install it through alien.

The last time I tried, which is a bout a month~ ago, I kept getting 'missing architecture' issues when installing, and a few other issues.

I do believe there is a new version that has been released. I'll have to try it again.

Old 10 October 2012   #35
EXR Channel sequence

All these are pretty basic in my view.

Faststone is well... Fast but none of these Can handle multichannel EXR's very well.

DJV Viewer can load and play sequences at least... but cannot extra channels like Specular etc.

Anyone know any that can?

Nukes the only option which is not ideal.

Last edited by strangerthings : 10 October 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #36
Originally Posted by strangerthings: Nukes the only option which is not ideal.

I know! Which is why I said earlier it would be sweet to just have a "nuke viewer" program! At least nuke loads up fast so it's not too bad to preview stuff like that. It's kind of hard to navigate through their directory structure in the read node, but sometimes it is the best option.

Old 10 October 2012   #37
the only problem with OS X's previewer is that it doesn't know to linearize EXR/HDR files:

http://www.can-con.ca/tumblrpics/exr_osx.jpg

if people are looking for a better browser on OS X, Graphic Converter is an old standard that basically accounts for why no one uses ACDSee on OS X. It also supports HDR/EXR images

Last edited by cgbeige : 10 October 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #38
I used ACDSee for years (before it became too bloated), and sporadically used XnView and others.

Since I bought "Directory Opus" (AKA "DOpus" a Windows explorer replacement that just enhances everything and actually make you forget you are using Windows, as it gives you so much power to sort your files and browse them and replaces so many utilities - RAR, ZIP, FTP, Media previewer, etc - that is probably the best unknown utility in Windows) (it started on the Amiga, more than 29 years ago) I stopped using any image browser, as this replaces all their functions (from slideshows to thumbnails to quickly navigate through them, etc).

Don't know it it shows Alpha Channels separately, but there are lots of plugins for many formats and maybe one of them does that.

Old 10 October 2012   #39
XNView. Would be perfect if you could use a simple brush to lay down notes onto images.

Old 10 October 2012   #40
Also used ACDSee for years until it becomes a monster type app..
So I switched to xnview, when I need to browse larger images
For fast previews I have XYplorer, alternative filemanager that I use instead of Windows one..

Old 10 October 2012   #41
I've been using Zoner Studio 14 Free Edition which seems pretty robust.

http://www.zoner.com/

Old 10 October 2012   #42
Originally Posted by Artbot: Do any of these have an easy way to show alpha channel? I use Bridge, but it's annoying to look at a page of textures and not know instantly which ones have alpha.

XnView doesn't seem to have an indicator right on the main interface, but the View menu as two items that are disabled if there is no alpha: Use Alpha Channel and Show Mask. The 'm' key toggles alpha or color channels display (View > Show Mask), and will have no effect if there is no alpha. Also, there is a button on the main toolbar which when clicked will show the image properties (Alt+Enter).

I like it because it is very fast to load and supports a lot of file formats. You may need to install the "Full Version" to get .exr support, and I believe installation of that plugin has to be enabled explicitly when installing. I can't vouch for how good the support for .exr is though, only that I could load/view a 32bpc image...

Last edited by tburbage3 : 10 October 2012 at 05:51 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #43
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread