Quick mask a la After Effects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
Quick mask a la After Effects

One thing (in fact, the only thing) that I miss from After Effects is the Pen Tools ability to draw a quick mask with an Alpha channel. I could quickly remove part of a frame by drawing a quick mask and setting the transfer mode to subtract. Nukes Roto tool is far less intuitive, is there a specific order of operation I am not following, or another way I can achieve this?

I appreciate your help, for some reason this process in Nuke keeps bogging me down!

Old 06 June 2012   #2
To replicate the mask subtraction workflow you can create a roto node and draw your mask shape. At the top of the roto node panel set the output to "Alpha". This way the roto is only affecting your alpha channel. Set Premulply to "All" or "RGBA". That will cut out the shape.

To subtract the roto go to the Shape tab of the roto node and check the little Invert checkbox.

Old 06 June 2012   #3
Thanks Pongoloid!

Old 06 June 2012   #4
You can also press X and type Bezier (capital B).

This adds the old Bezier path tool, which predated the Roto node. IMHO, for most masking needs this is much more intuitive and fast. You can pipe together multiple Bezier nodes, it's almost the same as having multiple shapes in a single Roto node.

As a matter of fact, I rarely use Roto, I have even changed the shortcut to always create a Bezier. On the other hand, the new RotoPaint node is much better than the old Paint node.

Last edited by Ringas : 06 June 2012 at 10:18 AM.

Old 06 June 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread