[3ds Max 2013] Looking Volunteers To Test My Rig And Provide Feedback

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
[3ds Max 2013] Looking Volunteers To Test My Rig And Provide Feedback

Hello,

I've very recently completed a character rig that I've been working on for three weeks which forms a large part of my Summer masters project and I'm looking for people to test it out and fill in a very, very short survey which will allow me to make objective claims in my final write-up.

The survey will be done through KwikSurvery which I believe is anonymous, but if you want to make remarks about the rig and are unable to express them through the survey, then please feel free to post them here.

The survey asks you to rate the functionality of the rig, the effectiveness of the control objects in posing the character mesh and the quality of the skinning - you don't need to sign up to anything to complete it.

I created the file in 3ds Max 2013, so you'll need that version or later to view the it. During the creation process I used Paul Neale's Pen_Attribute_Holder_2 modifier and P. Jansen's Outliner script, however the file should open without them.

Before completing the survey, please watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRrHsuRvRwE to familiarise yourself with the rig and it's features.

Here's the link to download the scene: https://hotfile.com/dl/233578508/c3...terRig.zip.html

And here's the link to the very, very short survey which I would like you to complete:
http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=a6s5ompnhidy1mz184483

Thanks in advance,
-Harry

07 July 2013
You're a Wizard Harry!

07 July 2013
haha, the old ones are the best

07 July 2013
Hello,

I haven't had any responses to my survey, which might be a good thing because I just updated the skinning ever so slightly - you can download the new scene file here: https://hotfile.com/dl/234938194/4a...erRig2.zip.html

I would be very grateful if a few of you could take the time to complete my survey.

Thanks,
-Harry

07 July 2013
First off, great rig! I see you put a lot of work and thought into it. It's quite late here so i make it quick. I did your survey but found some points that need fixing:

With the upper arm hanging down, there is no way to swing the arms back and forth without running into gimbal issues (another rotation order please).

For the hands i wished you've put more controls for the palm in (for each finger, not just for the pinky).

The skinning in the buttock area starts to loose volume in extrem back and forth leg positions (i know, more of a minor issue and easy to fix with another skin morph target).

Thats just off the top by playing with it. Other than that, it's a fantastic rig wich should meet the demands in production environment at least for advertisment and TV. The viewport speed is kinda slow compared to maya, wich is totally not your fault. I did a custom rig script some time ago with almost the same features and didnt get over 15 fps playback speed either (unexeptable for 'some' animators who are used to maya speed).

Rating the facial rig is kinda difficult as it depends on demands.

07 July 2013
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, lots of information I can use.

I've found that the 3ds Max viewport speeds up around 4x's when you don't have Edged Faces on, not sure why that is - I don't think showing the wireframe on the shaded model should be a big demand.

Thanks again,
-Harry

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread