Hair issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Hair issue

Hello all!

I'm attempting to learn how to use the 3ds Max 'Hair and Fur modifier'. I seem to have a pretty solid grasp of it, but there's one thing I can't figure out. The character model that I'm attempting to apply the hair to has hair that's parted in the center, and right there where the hair parts there are strange visual artifacts that I just can't seem to resolve. Screenshots are attached below.

I've turned all frizz, kink, and clump parameters down to 0. The hair has been separated into two groups, one for each side of the part. The screenshot of my view from max will show that I've reduced the number of polygons which are emitting hair just to try and narrow down the problem.

If anyone has a clue why it's displaying this way, please let me know! I'm losing my brain over here.

Screenshot1
Screenshot2

Last edited by Verbrannt : 12 December 2012 at 11:46 PM.

12 December 2012
I can't see any screenshots.

12 December 2012
Sorry about that! I realized immediately that I'd forgotten to link them, but the post didn't appear immediately and I wasn't able to edit it. They've been added!

Screenshot1
Screenshot2

12 December 2012
I've not seen that before (not that that means anything). It looks like the vertices in your splines where it transitions from jumbled mess to normal looking hair are corners while the rest are smooth or bezier. Have you tried changing them?

12 December 2012
Personally, I've never had an issue like this [then again, I use polygon hair =P], but it looks like either, a) The amount of hair there is causing lighting+antialising issues, or b) The hair strands are going through each other.

Another possible [but less likely] scenario is that the hair modifier doesn't like the sharp parting and screws it up. Have you tried splitting the growth mesh into two halves to see if that resolves the issue?

12 December 2012
Do you have any maps applied to scale/density slots? Because to me it looks like the hair in the middle just seems to be behaving like there is a scale map applied.

If its not that, maybe another render from a different angle might help.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread