Advice greatly appreciated

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2010
Advice greatly appreciated

Hi All,

I have just recently graduated from highschool and I plan on applying to Gnomon's three year course of Entertainment Design and Digital Production (the Visual Effects Animation program). I don't have much actual experience with programs such as Maya other then extensive viewings of tutorials. Understanding that the course for Gnomon requires a portfolio of 10-15 pieces of work, I wanted some advice of what type of work they would be expecting, as far as level of quality.

Here were my plans of a digital portfolio layout:

- 5 pieces of Modeling (Including texturing)
- 5 pieces of Dynamics (Fluid effects, rigid bodies, etc.)
- and a few pieces of animation (Rigging the 5 pieces of modeling from earlier)

Now to be honest I don't know at all what I am talking about or if that layout even makes sense or will even be considered a good portfolio.

All help will greatly be appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Last edited by MrNova : 07 July 2010 at 10:41 PM.

07 July 2010
well mostly probably send your preproduction work like sketches and all. even the photoshop digital paintings would be consider .they are teaching you production so they won't expect you to know much of it and secondly whats your specialization choose that and send the work of it if you can for e.g if modeling is your specialization put render pics of your model in pose .
I hope this helps a bit

07 July 2010
Originally Posted by workaholicmind: well mostly probably send your preproduction work like sketches and all. even the photoshop digital paintings would be consider .they are teaching you production so they won't expect you to know much of it and secondly whats your specialization choose that and send the work of it if you can for e.g if modeling is your specialization put render pics of your model in pose .
I hope this helps a bit

Thanks for your reply workaholicmind, the field I want to get into is visual effects animation; although, I have been watching a lot of tutorial videos on other things such as modeling just so I can get a well-rounded feel for Maya. I am currently watching a lot of dynamics tutorials since that is mainly what I will be working in the field of my choice. I don't really have much sketches or digital paintings but I will try to get some. So I am actually thinking that most of my work that I will display on the digital portfolio will be dynamic effects.

07 July 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread