Weathered surfaces for "ruins" scenes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Weathered surfaces for "ruins" scenes

So I see these weathered surfaces fairly often in games, especially when wandering through ruins. Instead of a perfect cube, it looks as though they took it into ZBrush, used TrimAdap or TrimDyna, and sheared off a little bit to make it look worn away by time. However, when I do that and bake the high poly mesh onto a low poly mesh, the details are too different for Substance Painter to pick it up. I was hoping somebody maybe had some experience on scene design for ruins so I can find out, how can I make rubble and pieces of buildings without each individual block being 20,000 some polygons? For optimization reasons, of course.

12 December 2017
What do you mean they are too different? Can you provide an example?

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by mister3d: What do you mean they are too different? Can you provide an example?
As in, the low poly still sticks out through the normals. Baking the normals can only fake so much, since it's still a mostly flat surface. I got some success by sculpting the rocks at a 300 poly count, but that still makes the wall going across my scene almost 400,000,000 polys.

12 December 2017
Can you post a few images (from games you mentioned) of precisely what these ruins look like?

12 December 2017
Use displacement mapping.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

12 December 2017
You'll need to adjust your low-poly mesh so that it captures any changes in silhouette.

reply share thread