SciFi Fighter Model (WIP) (Critique and Help Appreciated!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  04 April 2018
Some more minor updates:



 
  04 April 2018
The turbine metal is way too shiny. Tone that down.
Also I think you should also rethink if you want reflective glass cabin. Is it possible, yeah sure, but it does look a bit weird. What is the point of that.

Also that shiny turbine metal doesn't fit with the overall theme. If this is a some sort of mirror stealth jet them all the jet should be reflective. If this is "old" fashioned army jet, then pretty sure they are all colored in the same pattern, not just one part of it, else it does stand out and looses the camouflage.

Sure planes nowadays are colorful and all but they aren't military, which this is, so i'd lose the red, lose all the shiny metal and make it all "same" colored.
 
  04 April 2018
Originally Posted by Kazkas: The turbine metal is way too shiny. Tone that down.
Also I think you should also rethink if you want reflective glass cabin. Is it possible, yeah sure, but it does look a bit weird. What is the point of that.

Also that shiny turbine metal doesn't fit with the overall theme. If this is a some sort of mirror stealth jet them all the jet should be reflective. If this is "old" fashioned army jet, then pretty sure they are all colored in the same pattern, not just one part of it, else it does stand out and looses the camouflage.

Sure planes nowadays are colorful and all but they aren't military, which this is, so i'd lose the red, lose all the shiny metal and make it all "same" colored.
Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it.

I will probably change the cockpit glass cabin. I initially went with this as a filler to test different textures with it, and didn't change it. It needs a good glass shader that is more transparent than reflective.

For the turbines, I'm guessing you mean the fan blades and the gold panels? I was experimenting a bit there, with different ideas. I'll try changing it up as well.

The nose red metal was mainly meant to be a sort of pilot customization, like how pilots put custom paint/decals on their aircraft sometimes. Perhaps it'd be better expressed through decals, labels, etc.

I'd love to hear more feedback of course! Thanks again!
 
  04 April 2018
Right, so as promised, I made some of those updates as stated. I also decided to add some decals. Here's what I've got:



















 
  04 April 2018
And now for some more minor updates:












I may add some more changes, though they'd be limited to things like more minor details/decals on the aircraft, maybe remodeling the missiles, and adding in landing gear.

If I get really ambitious, I'll actually model out and texture the cockpit interior as well maybe.

I'd love some more feedback as always!
 
  04 April 2018
When I initially saw the aircraft I thought the cockpit looked very odd. It looks like a dome shape that been abruptly cut off in the front. It would look better if the cockpit just tapered off in the front like most other aircraft.

The tip of the nose where the guns and intake are doesn't look right. It feels like there should be a panel covering the gatling guns but the engineers forgot to add it. Guns on aircraft usually arn't located at the very tip of the plane. They are usually on the sides or under the wings. Try putting the guns under the wings as a gunpod.

I think the nose would look better with a smooth tip instead of ending in a flat shape. It looks like an air intake but there's no engines on the fuselage of the plane.

The engines appear very spaceshipy. I think what you were going for was a steampunk/Deisalpunk look right? They look really out of place on a World War 2ish airplane.

4 engines on it seems kind of alot for a small airplane. At the most, maybe have 3 engines, two on the sides, and a afterburner on the tail end of it like most modern jet fighters. That would make the air intake on the front make more sense.

Instead of having the engines be separate meshes, maybe you could mesh them into the fusalage. Take a look at this bomber plane. The engines on the wings looks meshed into the wings themselves. That would make it alot better and realistic. The engines at the moment look like there just placed there with no smooth transition from the wing to the engines. You can get away with that when modeling spaceships, but modern aircraft (or aircraft fashioned after historic aircraft) need to have a certain aerodynamic nature to them.

The body of the aircraft looks historic, but the engines are kind of throwing it off.




I am also looking for some feedback on my spaceship model. Here is the link to the thread. As you might know, its been hard to find enough people to give feedback on these forums. I thought if left feedback for others they might leave some feedback in return ; )

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr... <br /> <br />

Last edited by skywalker113 : 04 April 2018 at 07:34 AM.
 
  04 April 2018
Originally Posted by skywalker113: When I initially saw the aircraft I thought the cockpit looked very odd. It looks like a dome shape that been abruptly cut off in the front. It would look better if the cockpit just tapered off in the front like most other aircraft.

The tip of the nose where the guns and intake are doesn't look right. It feels like there should be a panel covering the gatling guns but the engineers forgot to add it. Guns on aircraft usually arn't located at the very tip of the plane. They are usually on the sides or under the wings. Try putting the guns under the wings as a gunpod.

I think the nose would look better with a smooth tip instead of ending in a flat shape. It looks like an air intake but there's no engines on the fuselage of the plane.

The engines appear very spaceshipy. I think what you were going for was a steampunk/Deisalpunk look right? They look really out of place on a World War 2ish airplane.

4 engines on it seems kind of alot for a small airplane. At the most, maybe have 3 engines, two on the sides, and a afterburner on the tail end of it like most modern jet fighters. That would make the air intake on the front make more sense.

Instead of having the engines be separate meshes, maybe you could mesh them into the fusalage. Take a look at this bomber plane. The engines on the wings looks meshed into the wings themselves. That would make it alot better and realistic. The engines at the moment look like there just placed there with no smooth transition from the wing to the engines. You can get away with that when modeling spaceships, but modern aircraft (or aircraft fashioned after historic aircraft) need to have a certain aerodynamic nature to them.

The body of the aircraft looks historic, but the engines are kind of throwing it off.




I am also looking for some feedback on my spaceship model. Here is the link to the thread. As you might know, its been hard to find enough people to give feedback on these forums. I thought if left feedback for others they might leave some feedback in return ; )

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr... <br /> <br />


Hey thanks for your input! I really appreciate it. Onto your points now:

The cockpit is modeled entirely off of the Me-109 cockpit, as you can see here:



The intakes are for engines on the bottom actually, which you can't see in the above images that I've posted, but are on the first page. The guns (and some of the larger design points( are inspired a bit from the aircraft from the game Warhawk:



There's also another aircraft that inspired me, which I cannot remember at the moment. I can certainly try the changes you've recommended and see how the model looks.

The engines are indeed meant to be spaceship-like so as to evoke the sci-fi feel. Perhaps I could change this though, although my aim was to make something that seems very old-fashioned yet employing powerful engine technology. It's also the reason there's 4 of them: in the world of this aircraft, certain knowledge is a lot more advanced than others, so aerodynamics aren't really the best but engine technology is better understood.

I tried somewhat to model the engines into the wings, but clearly more work is needed there. I will look into adding some more paneling to smooth the transition into the wing.

The wing engine design is largely based off of this 40k model:



I will say that my aim isn't necessarily to make a realistic real-world style aircraft, but I do understand that the feel of the aircraft is very important as well. Thanks again for your input! I really appreciate it. I will try changing the model as you've recommended and see how it looks. I have given some critique for your model as well, as you requested! I hope it helps!
 
  2 Weeks Ago
So now I made this fun composite, it's a WIP!

 
  2 Weeks Ago
Blue plane on blue bg with such water reflections are both kinda invisible and are hard on the eyes to watch.

If you finalised the idea that the planes will be in water bg then i'd say you need to spend some more time getting the good composition of the shot.
Also, work more on that water, get some references of the water type you want to achieve.
 
  2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Kazkas: Blue plane on blue bg with such water reflections are both kinda invisible and are hard on the eyes to watch.

If you finalised the idea that the planes will be in water bg then i'd say you need to spend some more time getting the good composition of the shot.
Also, work more on that water, get some references of the water type you want to achieve.
The planes look blue? I tried for a green texture. Hmm. Interesting.

This was much more of a test than final render. The goal is to probably use either a desert background or a forest background. Ocean is a possibility, but it won't be this for sure. Like I said, a super rough test.

Thanks for your feedback though! Do you have any tips on compositing? I'm very new to compositing actually. I was debating between using actual photography vs creating an environment in a separate pass and compositing the two together.
 
  2 Weeks Ago
I have also noticed that your plane looks blue. I think you have global illumination turned on and it is bouncing off of the ocean object which is making everything in your scene have a blue tint.

But computer GL doesn't always get things right. Here is a picture of a aircraft in front of the ocean. The shadows sort of have a blue tint, but the rest of it doesn't really.

Also, your photo appears to be missing "sunlight", which might help with the blue issue too. It should be a high intensity directional light that hits from above the horizon line.


Last edited by skywalker113 : 2 Weeks Ago at 06:30 AM.
 
  2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Are you going for technical or just artistic? I'd say you've got a nice model, and the details look great too, artistically.

Technically, this machine wouldn't fly, but who cares about that? I mean, those X-wing fighters in Star Wars had WINGS. In space. They had wings in space. Your ship has the center of lift way too far forward of the center of mass, so it would just flip a bunch really. But it looks good.

Sweet modeling though. Unwrap it and slap some base textures on it.
Until now I had never thought about the X - WINGS in space. You have ruined everything! I joke. But you ruined everything...
 
  2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by skywalker113: I have also noticed that your plane looks blue. I think you have global illumination turned on and it is bouncing off of the ocean object which is making everything in your scene have a blue tint.

But computer GL doesn't always get things right. Here is a picture of a aircraft in front of the ocean. The shadows sort of have a blue tint, but the rest of it doesn't really.

Also, your photo appears to be missing "sunlight", which might help with the blue issue too. It should be a high intensity directional light that hits from above the horizon line.

Well it could be the light bouncing off the plane, but it could also be the Arnold physical sun and sky. Hmm. I will have to look into this. The physical sun and sky 'technically' has a sunlight source, but maybe it isn't good enough. I may scrap it and switch to HDR anyways.

Also, if you look closely, there is a little bit of blue highlighting left on the fighters, giving it a blueish glow when viewed from a distance. It may just be I need to improve the compositing a bit more (i.e., edit out the blue better). There are other techniques I'm looking into as well to get a better composite (i.e. saving an alpha channel into the background instead of using a blue plane for easy removal).

I may switch to a desert scene for this. It depends on what I decide for this scene to be (I plan on using it for a comic series), and I have yet to make the decision for what I want the scene to be. This composite was very very rough, like I literally just wanted to test to see if I am even capable of compositing. I have zero compositing experience before this honestly.

This advice is helpful for the ocean compositing. I just need to decide soon if I want to use an ocean composite.

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's extremely helpful!
 
  2 Days Ago
Alright all, so this is my latest attempt at the ocean background:




 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.