Da Vinci the 3d artist, our Brother

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Imagine if a societal force policed Da Vinci... “Leo...stay on point...back to work NOW...I don’t want any LIP outta you.”

He might have made more money. Completed more work...

With No lip.
Hed be free to post the most amazing cgtalk threads the world has ever seen!  

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: It is a dedicated CG forum, but if there are comments that drive useful discourse and provide inspiration – we're supposed to be artists after all, not just app operators –  where's the harm?
I think all Joel was trying to point out was that there are other, more suitable places on CGTalk to post more general topics like this. In fact, this thread would benefit a larger CG audience as compared the ones who specifically use C4d here.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by mustardseed: I think all Joel was trying to point out was that there are other, more suitable places on CGTalk to post more general topics like this. In fact, this thread would benefit a larger CG audience as compared the ones who specifically use C4d here.
I have no interest in posting to strangers. Posters here are familiar.  And those general forums are ghost towns. 

If partially off topic threads aren’t welcome...I’ll just stop posting them. That logically includes my Unity threads, anything related to VR, hardware, items for sale, etc.

I’d personally love to hear more rather than less about user’s experiences and thoughts on CAD, engineering, architecture, design principles, VR, art history — all as it relates to the framework of a c4d user. 

It’s been too much of a beat down with this and my MacPro sale thread. 

I’ll check out what Reddit forums look interesting.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 07:56 AM.

1 Week Ago
I think maybe  you are taking this a bit too personally? Most of my posts here have been a bit tongue and cheek. I thought the thread was funny and a bit non sequitur when expecting the topic to relate to this:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pr...davinciresolve/

Not what i was expecting. But no ones telling you to stop. I'll be nice

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Imagine if a societal force policed Da Vinci... “Leo...stay on point...back to work NOW...I don’t want any LIP outta you.”

He might have made more money. Completed more work...

With No lip.
A societal force says to go to school. That is the end of any da Vinci.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daedalus

Last edited by Bullit : 1 Week Ago at 03:43 AM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Bullit: A societal force says to go to school. That is the end of any da Vinci.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daedalus

Maybe school ruins him.  U could be right.

Next up in the discussion I’ll look at....
Leonardo da Vinci
and
Leonardo da Pisa

da Pisa is known to us today as Fibonacci.

Fibonacci math  (golden ratio, spirals, patterns, motions) is beloved and employed by savvy c4d artists everywhere. Da Vinci loved Fibonacci math *passionately* and found the math lurking in some surprising places.

More coming soon.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 03:06 AM.

1 Week Ago
300 years before Da Vinci a different Leonardo held center stage in Italy. 

Pisa is a town 90 miles due West from Florence (Da Vinci's home). There in 1170 we find Leonardo Of Pisa. Yes, this is the same Pisa as you know from "The Leaning tower."  In his early life our first Leo  acquired the nickname, "Fibonacci."  Fibonacci was regarded as the greatest mathematician in centuries. He led Europe to dump Roman numerals and embrace Arab-Sumerian numbers, including decimals. Amongst this and  many other accomplishments, he brought us a modern understanding of what was dubbed, "the Fibonacci sequence." This is "magic" math...the Golden ratio as seen in some galaxy formation, hurricanes, pine cones, plants...and exquisite architecture and art work.

Leonardo D studied Da Pisa, this math and these concepts intensely. In fact Da Vinci illustrated a book about the golden ratio. (the publishing press had only recently come to Italy) I am including some of the illustrations from the book below.

----

When I see these I can't help but think of c4d, mograph and the plugin Trypogen. But here is Da Vinci, pictorially describing Fibonacci art in the book, De divina proportione.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 09:48 AM.

1 Week Ago
Of course an artist of Leo’s stature couldn’t resist utilizing the golden math in his art. Salvador Mundi is bulging w/the Golden Ratio:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDmAtTJ6JY

But It was later in life...and in anatomical/medical study where Leonardo found the most shocking instance of Fibbonacci’s math...and it stunned the medical community just a few decades ago. Research showed that Da Vinci’s analysis of blood flow was in respects superior to the established view of 20th century cardiologists. The BCC did an expose on this a few years ago. 

The Aortic Valve and the hydraulics of the heart feature golden math in both contour and flow. But this takes us well outside of 3d...so I’ll end this here.

Sometimes matters of the heart...aren’t the heart of the matter.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 1 Week Ago at 04:39 AM.

reply share thread