Speed and physics issues, need help !

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Speed and physics issues, need help !

Hello !

For a long time, I have a question in my head, and didn't find the answer, I hope you will ! ^^ So my main project today is a Transfomers shortfilm. So I got the animation of the transformation but, the pieces stop to move instantly :(
Here is my video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQEKLjymI84
Here is what I mean : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhWTwclb_nE
In this transformation we can see that the pieces stop to move but they still move a little because of their weight, I don't know if am clear ^^

So how to do it in Cinema4D ? Is it possible ?

2 Weeks Ago
That added feeling of weight in Transformers is all done through meticulous keyframe animation. Just a ton of hard work.

One way you could add a little bit of "bounciness" to the effect is by placing your animated model in a fracture object, and adding a Delay effector set to spring mode. Or you could set it to Blend mode for a smoothing effect. Neither one will really give you the true effect you're after, but they'll give it a different look. 

2 Weeks Ago
The differences between clips?

The movie scene has advantages in these respects:
-Compound movement
-Camera motion
-Lighting and rendering
-Scenery that provides context and narrative grounding
-Sound Effects and music
-Tuned keyframes (non linear motion)
-A beautiful young lady and a young protagonist transitioning from boy to man

Massive time, craft and budget are required to pull off something like the scene you showed.

Ask: -What is a storyline here? What should my audience feel about the scene? How can I communicate power, threat, security, awe, etc?

You’ve done some nice work but it’s just a start if you want to stir emotion.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 2 Weeks Ago at 12:58 AM.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: That added feeling of weight in Transformers is all done through meticulous keyframe animation. Just a ton of hard work.

One way you could add a little bit of "bounciness" to the effect is by placing your animated model in a fracture object, and adding a Delay effector set to spring mode. Or you could set it to Blend mode for a smoothing effect. Neither one will really give you the true effect you're after, but they'll give it a different look. 

What Luke said. Put it all in a fracture object and try  the delay effector.

You can also use the delay effector set to object deformation mode and drop one under each piece-and forego the fracture object altogether.
Alternatively you can use the jiggle deformer the same way instead of the delay..

2 Weeks Ago
Ok I will try what you guys said, thanks for tout fast answers ! By the way, you've seen my video, how can I improve the render ? How can I get a realistic good metal textures with scratches etc...
Thanks again !

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by DreamPictures: How can I get a realistic good metal textures with scratches etc...

There are plenty of tutorials available for this: just go to YouTube and type in "metal texturing in C4D"

2 Weeks Ago
The delay effector works nicely but that's maybe not the best thing, so np I won't do that for the moment, but for the render, how can I have a realistic render on C4D for animation ? Is it possible with the render engine included by default ?

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by DreamPictures: The delay effector works nicely but that's maybe not the best thing, so np I won't do that for the moment, but for the render, how can I have a realistic render on C4D for animation ? Is it possible with the render engine included by default ?

There is no "make realistic render" button in c4d. You just need to learn and master  texturing and lighting techniques. Theres no easy way around it.

2 Weeks Ago
Yeah I know but I would just know if it is possible with the basical physical render engine to get a good realistic render, or if rendering with  V-Ray or Octane is necessary  ^^

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by DreamPictures: Yeah I know but I would just know if it is possible with the basical physical render engine to get a good realistic render, or if rendering with  V-Ray or Octane is necessary  ^^
You can create a very polished realistic version of your animation with c4d’s own renderer. But you’ll have to learn things like global illumination and ambient occlusion.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by DreamPictures: Yeah I know but I would just know if it is possible with the basical physical render engine to get a good realistic render,

YES it is possible.

"You just need to learn and master  texturing and lighting techniques. Theres no easy way around it."

Last edited by JoelDubin : 2 Weeks Ago at 05:03 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
Study lighting techniques: everything from the old masters of painting from centuries ago to seeing how modern directors of photography use lights in a feature film. Recreate those lighting setups in Cinema. Good lighting is difficult, but if done well it can turn a boring shot into an AMAZING shot. 

Joel's right: there aren't any real shortcuts. Sure, you can find a plugin or two that may have built in lighting setups that look cool, but they don't answer the question of why they look cool - why they work. Knowing why photographers place light where they do is important, and will help you to create lighting setups that work for a myriad of places. 

There are tons of tutorials online for this, you just have to put in the time to watch, learn, and practice.

reply share thread