Max 2014 SP1

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #46
Originally Posted by DannyBoy3: When is AD going to get rid of junk no one uses like that leftover skinning solution the name of which I forget because NO ONE EVER USES IT. Doesn't this just add to the cumbersomeness code and clutter the UI? Also we need to scrap reactor or re -write it so I don't have to script stuff that works around it?

Are you talking about Physique by any chance ? That's just a modifier sitting in the modifier dropdown. If you wanna get rid of it, simply move the physique.dlm from the stdplugs folder to some backup folder. You can do that with many plugins...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 07 July 2013   #47
Originally Posted by DannyBoy3: When is AD going to get rid of junk no one uses like that leftover skinning solution the name of which I forget because NO ONE EVER USES IT. Doesn't this just add to the cumbersomeness code and clutter the UI? Also we need to scrap reactor or re -write it so I don't have to script stuff that works around it?

Before Autodesk got rid of reactor, many people said "NO ONE EVER USES IT.", too. When Autodesk removed reactor, there was almost a riot. You never know who might use what.

As Josef said, to see Physique you have to dig into modify stack. Having Physique does not clutter the UI.

Since it is kinds of plugin, it does not add to the cumbersomeness code, either.

Only benefit of removing Physique would be that you can save max start time by 0.01sec.
Then by doing thta, you are taking risk of breaking backward compatibility.

Old 07 July 2013   #48
Not to beat a dead horse (too much).
We built a new Farm based on W7 knowing future releases of Max were not going to support XP.
3 years from now we might find ourselves in a similar situation when MS has released Windoze 10 and AD drops support for W7 (not very likely considering how long they supported XP after it evolved into the most wonderful and exciting operating system ever, Windoze VISTA).

I know it's tough and somewhat expensive to update our render farms (We used a great guy out of Atlanta to do the work for us as we were swamped. He charged us $150 per node for 20 nodes, including the OS licenses) but we need to plan on doing it as frustrating as that seems. We will not be able to stop the juggernaut that is AD. If any of you think they actually listen regarding an old OS you are deluding yourselves.
It takes a massive revolt on all fronts to get a change of course. I am not convinced that all the ranting in the world has any effect. The only thing you could do is withhold your subscription, which we like to threaten, but never actually do.

The bottom line is XP is dead..... time to move on
David

www.dustinforensics.com

Old 07 July 2013   #49
No doubt XP is dead.

I spent last weekend updating our remaining XP nodes to win 8. (Though I prefer Win 7 it is already obsolete, and no doubt Microsoft learned its lesson and Win Vista and Win 7 support will end much quicker than XP's did.) Obviously you need to move on at some point. I do just wish it would be broken on major release, not on some service pack. But, as was pointed out, 2014 has always claimed to need Vista or above.

I need to get the name of the guy out of Atlanta. Hell, I'd fly down there and pick him up in my Cessna at those rates! Not sure how he can make any money, but hey... Did that include installing Max, or what?

Old 07 July 2013   #50
Pel,
What I did was setup one of the Nodes complete with OS, Max, Vray and all plugins and gave it to him.
He took all the hard drives from the nodes and cloned them all, tested them in one of the nodes he took with him and brought them back to me.
I placed all the hard drives in the nodes, fired them up and had to fix BB to reflect the correct Mac Address (the cloning had copied the original mac to all the other drives).
And a good time was had by all.

He might like a trip to St. Louis...
David

www.dustinforensics.com

Old 07 July 2013   #51
Originally Posted by ddustin: I placed all the hard drives in the nodes, fired them up and had to fix BB to reflect the correct Mac Address (the cloning had copied the original mac to all the other drives).
And a good time was had by all.
Next time just remove the MAC address from the Backburner.xml before cloning and you will be all set. The new nodes will auto fix that entry with an address from the render node. The only issue that can arise is if you use multiple NICs or MAC address on one machine and need it to use a specific one. Then it will need to be manually entered.

-Eric

Old 07 July 2013   #52
Thank you to everyone that reported the XP x64 issue, we are currently reviewing it.
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

Old 07 July 2013   #53
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread