Backwards compatibility in Maya 2013?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
Backwards compatibility in Maya 2013?

Hey guys, so I've recently found out all my work in Maya 2013 is not so very backwards compatible. I'm working on a character rig I'd like to make public but the problem would be that it's very useless if only a small portion of people can use it. I've tried opening the .ma file and replacing all the 2013 with 2012 and even read somewhere deleting lines with ".vnm" would work, but so far no luck! Damnit Autodesk!
Does anyone know a way to send this so I can use it 2011/2012? Thanks so much

Old 07 July 2012   #2
Backwards compatibility has always been a problem in Maya - known issue

Old 07 July 2012   #3
Yea, but typically you could save as a Maya Ascii file (".ma") and it would work, hopefully that helps you. If anyone has knowledge on changing a 2013 file, it would much appreciated! I really want to start giving away this rig but it has to be usable first

Old 08 August 2012   #4
What you are referring to is actually forwards compatability (backwards is loading a 2012 in 2013 which always works). The change we made was at the file level and it adds a -ch flag to the ASCII file to speed up file open on large scenes. Pop open your .ma file in a text editor and search/replace for the string -ch. With that flag removed you should be able to load the file in 2012 now.

Old 08 August 2012   #5
EDIT: I gave that a try and when I try to open it, my display layers show up but before the file is opened it crashes. I'm trying to open it in 2011 though, which may be the issue. I have access to a computer with 2012 tomorrow.

Last edited by DeltaAddiction : 08 August 2012 at 04:29 AM.

Old 08 August 2012   #6
There is a value alongside the -ch flag so make sure that gets stripped out as well or it will likely error when it hits those random numbers without the -ch flag present.

Old 08 August 2012   #7
Awesome! That did it, thank you so much. And again, thanks for being a part of creating such a great program!

PS - You make caveman happy!
<----

Last edited by DeltaAddiction : 08 August 2012 at 04:07 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #8
based on this info, I made a blog post with a tip on using a shell script or regular expression to do it all in one shot:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...ost/28629598569

Old 08 August 2012   #9
Hi. I came across an issue that I think might be related to this discussion and I would greatly appreciate any guidance. I'm currently working on a project where I had a rigged character that had been done in 2012 using the human IK system and saved as an .ma. I brought the file home where I have 2013. I had been animating for several hours when my hand slipped and pressed some buttons imminently the skeleton popped out of the character and I had lost skinning in part of the mesh. I tried all the typical solutions, but the problem wouldn't leave and it had inexplicably spread across affecting earlier saved versions of the rig and even rigs from unrelated projects. It basically ruined everything I had. I even re-modeled the character and rigged it from scratch and the problem persisted. If I open the file in 2012 I will have my rig back but the file will open with missing pieces of geometry and god knows what else gets lost in translation. I do not understand much about coding so could somebody please explain to me how to get 2013 files working in 2012.

Old 08 August 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread