How do I properly connect a texture to mia refl_gloss attribute?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
How do I properly connect a texture to mia refl_gloss attribute?

Trying to connect a texture to reflection glossyness attribute to a mia shader and it always comes out as a totally matte surface in the renders. The same texture connects to the reflectivity attribute no problems and produces expected result.

What I want is for the texture to drive the glossiness attribute. I've tried connecting the texture to a luminance node and set range node changing the min max values from 0 ~ 255 to 0 ~ 1. I've even tried using alpha is luminance and connecting the outalpha to the glossiness attribute and still getting matte surface.

What am I doing wrong? please help.

Old 08 August 2012   #2
Set range nodes look at texture nodes as being 0-1, not 0-255. So all you did was severely darken the input.

Though your core problem isn't a dynamic range issue, it's a channel issue.

Glossiness only accepts a single channel and defaults to a texture's alpha.

Sounds like your alpha is what has been plugging into the MIA. On the texture node under the color balance section, you'll find a checkbox that says "alpha is luminance" - check that box.

An alternative method is to connect one of the RGB channels to the glossiness attribute via the connection editor

Last edited by sentry66 : 08 August 2012 at 01:39 AM.

Old 08 August 2012   #3
That worked! Key information was that the glossiness attribute defaults to a texture's alpha. I followed both your suggestions which is selecting alpha is luminance and connected 'outcolorR' attribute to the 'refl_gloss"
Thank you!

Old 08 August 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread