Tear this portrait up for me please

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2007
Tear this portrait up for me please

this is my first digital piece plese tear it up i need crits

01 January 2007
very nice just a few things: the eyes look too big they look almost anime-ish, also the corners of the mouth look too low. nice work try some colour next time.

01 January 2007
The tongue looks very thin, like a cat tongue. Even if that's because of cast shadows, there should be more of it visible (not complete darkness) to suggest that it's not flat.
The hair on the right of her face (our left) doesn't seem to come from anywhere, I think the angle should be steeper so that it doesn't look like it's lazily coming out from behind the front strand. The hair overall doesn't really look finished, but that's not a crit really since this isn't a finished image.
The eyebrows bug me but I don't know why. I think it might be the flow, the hairs are facing natural directions in my view, but I'm pretty sure I've seen eyebrows like that before.

I love the nose. Aside from softening the nostril creases, don't do anything to it, k? Aside from maybe adding color.

01 January 2007
I like the stylized eyes personally. They don't look like manga to me, they do however look slightly cockeyed. I like this portrait... I don't really have any other crits aside from that.

01 January 2007
I saw this on conceptart.org -- is this the fixed version that the guy did for you?

I liked it either way anyway

-L.H.

Portfolio

01 January 2007
krosscross- thanks for your feedback about the eyes i'll defintely take the size of the eyes into consideration about the anime style in which i'd like to avoid. about the corners of the mouth are you comparing to the placement of the face or to the lips? when the mouth opens the corners of the mouth does in fact lower. I hope i'm understanding you correctly.

eishiya- Thanks for your feedback i've been looking for some feedback about the tongue and i wasn't sure ifi should even make it visible in the first place. about the hair your totally right i'll get right to it. Also in terms of color, is it too late to add it? i've never played with color even in traditional. I'm kind of afraid to mettle with color at the moment.

cypherx- Thanks for your comment I've been meaning to fix the eyes just a bit more.

Runecaster- The paint-over version mitsumori did for me was very small and only did minor changes especially widening the jaw which i didn't want for this character and after plenty sleepless of hours i'm pretty sure this digital painting is all 100% mine =D

despite the fact that it does have a lot of flaws i'm happy the way its progressing due to the fact that i've never done anything like this before. At this moment i'm debating if the face is almost done. Keep giving me feedback, the harsher the comments are the better!

-Maerrick *noob at work*

01 January 2007
It's a beautiful portrait, though I gotta say that your eyes are the center of attraction. They look alive, which in comparison to some portraits that I've seen, is a big thing.

The indent above the mouth needs more contrast in terms of highlighting. Also, soften the shadow line on the right side of the indent. Since the highlight carries over to the right side of the mouth, the line should be lighter if not near invisible.

Lighten the shadowing to the left of the nose since the lightsource looks like it slightly off to that side.

Last edited by ACMcC : 01 January 2007 at 03:36 AM.

01 January 2007
just two things from me. i think the shading around the cheeks could use a little sprucing up as it looks slightly flat. lastly the chin maybe a little too small. other than those i don't see anything wrong with it. it's actually very well rendered man.

01 January 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread