Particles moving following a grid, like cars in traffic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Particles moving following a grid, like cars in traffic

Hi, do you know if it is possible to make particles following a grid made of multiple splines or shapes? I have a grid of straight lines crossing each other, like streets of NYC for example, and I need particles going from a point to another but always staying in the roads. The roads/lines are a lot and I don't want to animate elements (they wont be real cars but only simple dots) by hand.*
Do you have any idea?
Thank you in advance!

03 March 2013
I haven't done it in pflow, but the basic idea is like this - you position particles on the spline and align them to it. These serve as a guide. Then you run the car particles on the spline, and you move them in the direction of the alignment of the closest guide particle.

03 March 2013
Jeff Lim actually built up some Box#3 logic that controls cars along splines, I did a quick search for it over at Orbaz but didn't see it right off the bat. I know it is there somewhere. Maybe Jeff will jump in with some guidance. IIRC it registered red/green lights as well as anti-collision.

EDIT: I found it but it was in the Beta area so you will have to ask him for permission, his username here is Galagast.

You could try doing something similar with per event control, I think it would take a lot of work, at least thinking over how to build the system in my head anyway. I do not believe it to be a trivial task.

Last edited by JohnnyRandom : 03 March 2013 at 04:06 PM.

04 April 2013
Shouldn't need the Box#3 for this. Just make a spline and have the particles flow from one end to the other.

When I get the chance I will attempt one myself and show you.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread