Any way to globally break connections?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Any way to globally break connections?

Hi--

I've copied a machine (a group, comprised of smaller groups) from one scene and pasted it into another. I then tried to freeze its transforms, but get an error message notifying me that an element of the machine has incoming connections. So I locate that element in the Outliner and break the connections. Try to freeze transforms again. Another message about another element with incoming connections. Problem is that there are dozens of elements involved, buried within layers of groups.

Is there any way I can break all connections in this group in some global fashion?

TIA, all help much appreciated!

Tim

04 April 2013
It should be possible if you select all transforms of your machine (simply marquee select everything of your machine in your viewport, make sure you are in object selection mode) and then show the channelBox, there select all the xyz channels of translate, rotate and scale and then in context menu choose "Break Connections".

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by zaskar: It should be possible if you select all transforms of your machine (simply marquee select everything of your machine in your viewport, make sure you are in object selection mode) and then show the channelBox, there select all the xyz channels of translate, rotate and scale and then in context menu choose "Break Connections".

Many thanks, Zaskar! Works perfectly. My problem, of course, was relying on a group selection as the scene is kind of complex. As it turned out, I went the rather arduous path of recreating the offending sets by copying one element and using "Duplicate Special" to fill in the gaps after deleting the elements with incoming connections.

Anyway, you saved me a lot of trouble next time!

Best regards!

04 April 2013
yeah selecting in viewport and object mode selects only the parent transforms of any shapes. So if some parents above them have incoming connections, breaking connections using the chanel box wont affect them. But you can get all child transforms of a group if you select the main group, then use the mel input field and type
select `ls -dag -type "transform" -sl`;

and then again delete all connections using the channel box.

If you want to globally kill all transformation connections you get all transforms with this
select `ls -type "transform"`;

Last edited by zaskar : 04 April 2013 at 10:13 PM.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread