Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

just to confirm with the Surface Pro.. out-of-the-box, i installed AD Sketchbook Pro and pressure sensitivity was working fine with the included pen... much better than what I was expecting actually.

However, the stylus is no where near as nice as the Wacom and they are not compatible.

There's a few annoying aspects of this device (besides that price point)... I was considering making a short review video of it (depends if I have time) or just list the issues i have with it.

I plan to check out mudbox and maya on it just for giggles... it only has 4GB of RAM... which again, at this price point is lacking.. seriously lacking. I'm not expecting any miracles here on those.

I will be returning this one though.. there's a lovely "bubble" in the center of the LCD about the size of a penny that over saturates colors... (hey QC... WTF!)

Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

well scratch the mudbox idea... "must be amd or nvidia hardware"... lol. that's a bummer.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #18
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan
I remember reading about the Surface Pro and quickly losing interest in it. I don't remember the reason though.

I lost interest quickly because it uses an ARM processor and there's virtually no software available for Windows RT. I haven't used a Windows RT device yet but I don't think they can use Windows software that people are used to (like Photoshop for example, compiled for x86). It might run software compiled for x86 but it would have to be emulated which would dramatically affect performance.

It's a good thing that Microsoft is taking ARM seriously but it's going to be huge mess for a while as developers figure out how to manage multiple architectures (distribution, support, etc.). Either that or they just ignore Windows RT completely like the Itanium builds of Windows.

Open source software can handle multiple architectures much more effectively than closed source software because the source can usually just be compiled on another architecture (maybe some small tweaks). So anyone can package and maintain whatever they want on a new architecture, but products from Adobe, Autodesk, and the like have a more complex journey from the developers to the end users which is probably what has hindered Windows and it's software ecosystem on other architectures in the past.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
MS Pro is not ARM- it's full powered Intel i5 processor. That's wherein lies the confusion with consumers.

Granted I used the Pro at BB with a pen and ended up getting a Fujitsu t901 for $455 off ebay and sold my Dell m6600 (we ironically started carrying them at work so now I get them for free).

The t901 is great but takes some know how to get it going. best part is swappable battery, HDD and added RAM up to 16GB- there is a t902 with higher res screen but it's 16:9 whereas the t901 is still 16:10.

I think Lenovo has some really good hardware coming out from wireless monitors with pen inputs to the Helix- that's the route I'd go if I was looking to spend more; although the monitors are said to be close to the price I paid for the t901.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #20
routb
Scout
Isaiah Coberly
USA

I was waiting for the Surface Pro but ended up springing for the Ativ700t which I love. I actually designed a case for the 700t on the 700t. I love the portability and I'm getting better at doing without the keyboard. ArtDock helps.. I'm thinking I'll get a helix next. Ill design a case for that as well. Check out my work on the 700t.

http://youtu.be/-QlsQIz71KU

Great for drawing artists!

Isaiah

Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
adecoy95
portfolio
USA

anybody know a way i can do this with the surface pro, preferrably over a wireless network?

http://www.schrein06.abk-stuttgart.de/aaa.jpg

Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #23
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan
I run a Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Note, which is Android OS, but it is the best drawing experience I ever had. It is powerful enough that I do full HD animation, rather than be limited to just sketches, roughs or storyboards. I would have though the Surface Pro should be able to do much much more.

I'm glad to know that, didn't try it myself but I want this kind of tablet, and it seems amazing you get wacom for free. Maybe not for professional use, but for some quick sketches it's a cool idea. Even if it wouldn't be wacom I'd buy it, but wacom.. wow.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #24
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewty07

About time!
Given how Wacom priced the cintiq13 the much hyped soon-to-come full tablet has become a lot less appealing, largely on account of how expensive it will probably be.

The Surface pro has just become interesting again. Pretty damn interesting in fact.
Will need to find out if the OS/installs can be creamed and replaced with no issues and with all drivers still working properly for the stupid storage hogging issues, it might end up being a backup plan that doesn't suck if Wacom puts their tablet out for 2k or something stupid like that.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #25
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

I don't think an official microsoft-wacom joint update has happened yet though I put the tablet pc driver here :http://www.wacom.com/en/support/drivers on and saw my sensitivity and even some multi touch working. I am already ecstatic about this and if they actual Microsoft ones add multi touch pan/zoom/etc (gestures) in stuff like photoshop/zbrush the purchase will be extremely justified in my book hah. I originally bought it to have a smaller portable productivity device (had a large gaming laptop before) now I can draw up frames for animation or concepts while on the train like its my wacom at home. The office cloud helps too because I keep project files in there so I instantly have any progress I do while traveling at home (free phone wifi hotspot for sync).

Old 05-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #26
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

(from clone thread my post)

Photoshop CS6 is working splendidly now, full pen support, no gesture yet though from what I roamed that is just on mac side and cintiq. I guess Wacom doesn't want to push out drivers with full gesture support to all platforms in order to keep customers drawn to the cintiq? Who knows though maybe that will be the cherry on top if I can move my canvas with flicks of my fingers while I draw

Also regarding the post about using it as a drawing tablet to another screen, I don't think you can do it wireless really. I bought the adapter to push my feed to HDMI, it uses a mini DP port on the tablet if I remember correctly so I am sure there are other adapters from Microsoft and 3rd parties. Same thing as pushing out your computer display to a 2nd monitor since it is just a computer.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #27
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

I ended up giving it two thumbs down unfortunately... just didn't suite my needs. I think for the right purpose, it could be really beneficial.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #28
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread