Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
ChrisCorr
Veteran

Christian Correia
Freelancer
Santa Cruz, Portugal

Dynamic Secondary Animation (Rodeo-Style)

Hi there,

I'm working on a project where I have a character that needs to be animated in a bull riding type situation. He has one hand fixed in front of him and I would like the rest of his body (mainly the other arm arm and upper body) to be driven dynamically by the object's keyframed animation while it's jumping up and down.

I played with enabling dynamics on the IK tags for the arm and legs but the results are unsatisfactory. Also my spine is a splineIK setup which doesn't have the dynamics option.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make a set-up for this? Or will I have to take this on with good old fashioned keyframed animation? I would really appreciate the help.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Decade
Expert

Graeme McDougall
London, GB

You can use the spring constraint from the constraint tag.

Constrain the real controllers, to copies which are parented to the rodeo bull.
Adjust the amount of spring down the chain of controllers to have overlap in the animation.

For those controllers that should not be dynamic, just use a PSR constraint instead to have them fixed to their copies.

Any normal animation you do should be done on the copies which are parented to the rodeo bull.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
ChrisCorr
Veteran

Christian Correia
Freelancer
Santa Cruz, Portugal

Thank you!

I suspected I had to use extra nulls but I didn't know about the spring constraint. It's quite hard to control though.

Is there a way to constrain the movements in just one axis?

Last edited by ChrisCorr : 01-26-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCorr
I suspected I had to use extra nulls but I didn't know about the spring constraint. It's quite hard to control though.

Is there a way to constrain the movements in just one axis?

You can constrain a null and then have the object you want to follow that nulls movement in one axis by using xpresso, just connect which ever axis you want with a position port.

Personally though, I think you can sink a lot of time into building setups like this and still not really get the result you want. One potential issue is that the native spring constraint is not really physically based, it just gives a generic 'springy' motion, while there are settings for gravity you can't adjust the mass etc. Then you need to add a clamp constraint or xpresso limit to stop the rider going through the saddle, and deal with the fact that it's going to look pretty unnatural when the rider hits an 'invisible wall' each time it reaches the limit set by that clamp (in reality there will always be a bit of give due to the flexibility of our bodies, the saddle etc)

If I was doing this job I'd just go hunting for good video reference of rodeo riders (there's bound to be tons of stuff on youtube etc) and I'd animate it by hand using that reference as a guide, for me that would be a more direct route to getting a good result and would be more fun than tweaking settings. Technical solutions are often beaten by artistic ones IMO.

Just my 2c though

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 01-26-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Cactus Dan
Of the West

Cactus Dan Libisch
Freelance Character TD
Ferron, USA

Howdy,

The type of rig you'd need is quite complicated to set up. As Decade mentioned it requires an external rig to which the original rig controllers would be constrained.

Like this:
http://www.cactus3d.com/BullRider.mov

The secondary motion in that rig was simply achieved by reducing the Strength parameter of the constraints.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread