Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
kaenoner
portfolio
diemo barz
art director motion
freelance
hamburg, Germany

vray texture baking through deadline?

there is a way of using deadline for vray texture baking in 3ds max.

see here: http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/deadline-5-3dsmax/ (look for: render to texture)

is there a same way of doing it with maya and deadline? (as this feature isn't mentioned in the deadline/maya documentary. or is it simple as sending a maya file over to deadline? sorry havn't worked with maya together with deadline before...

thanks a lot for your time, mates.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

I've never baked texture with Vray before so I'm not sure. If it can be done with the render command then I suppose you can do it with Deadline.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
kaenoner
portfolio
diemo barz
art director motion
freelance
hamburg, Germany

d'you mean if i can start texture baking by mel script? unfortunately when i hit the command in the menu it won't show up in the script editor...

Old 01-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

I don't know if this helps you but I made a baking script for V-Ray Tuner ( http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...-tuner-for-maya ) called "DaveBake420" that batch bakes all selected objects and names the images according to the object name. you can see it in action here:

https://vimeo.com/21764193

The difference between my script and the V-Ray baking scripts is that mine works with render elements so you can use the output for stuff like dirt maps. The current version doesn't need you to enable texture baking. It's handled by the script now

Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
kaenoner
portfolio
diemo barz
art director motion
freelance
hamburg, Germany

thanks a lot! i gonna give it a try.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
kaenoner
portfolio
diemo barz
art director motion
freelance
hamburg, Germany

@cgbeige:

first, thank you very much for your help. i tried your script and i think it's propably very handy, once i got it to work. somehow it is reporting an error:

// Error: Could not find a control named 'vrayBakeUMin'. //

do you know what could be the problem, over here?

however, unfortunately it doesn't seem to help me with my original problem.

as i need to bake my textures through deadline, that means distributed rendering via the batch command. i don't see a way how it could help me here...

back to my problem:
nothing seems to get rendered via deadline as it normally uses the maya batch plugin. that means when i manually hit the the batch render button, nothing is rendered.
when i hit "render current frame" everything works fine and i get my baked textures.

but as i know you're a vray baking master you might be able to help here: in deadline i have this commandline, where i can put in a command line, see image:

do you think it could work if i directly to initialize the texture baking process by a command line?

any ideas? thanks a lot for your help!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

Quote:
// Error: Could not find a control named 'vrayBakeUMin'. //

in older versions of the script, you had to enable Texture Baking before you could run the script but I think was resolved. Try opening the render settings window, selecting your meshes to bake and then run the script.

It's not going to play nice with Deadline unless you could get Deadline to run a preMEL script, which is doable in your scene. something like:

Code:
select pCube1; source vraytuner; daveBake420;

I'd post an updated version but I'm in the middle of adding a lot of additional features to the baking script (post compositing the dirt pass with colour bake, for example).

Last edited by cgbeige : 01-23-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread