3D artists Making money on the side...Tell us your ideas..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #166
What would you guys say to someone who wanted to learn 3D modelling in regards to making money on the side in doing so?

I'm in a point in my career where I really need change, my job pays ok for now but not enough in the grand scheme of things  but even besides the money, I just want to get into something else and something creative, that keeps my brain in gear. I sold my gaming PC about 7 months ago which I regret now as I used to dabble in a range of 3D applications, previously wanted to get in VFX but my mindset has completely changed and I'm now super eager to at least try to work towards something. 

Is it worth investing in another computer and knuckling down to at the least try and make money on the side?  Preferably through the area of 3D modelling but I'm almost a clean slate so am willing to learn other things so long as I have a bit of a passion and interest in it.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #167
What do you do at the moment?.. although noted you said you wanted to do 3D besides money - if one of your goals is to make money I don't think 3D is the direction to go in. If you enjoy 3D and see it as a hobby then by all means, and when you are good enough perhaps then you'll get some money out of it but that could be years away depending on your application and learning speed.

On a side note are you Bristolian?... and a Spurs fan judging by your user name?... I'm a Bristolian and you may of guessed it a Gooner ;-)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #168
Originally Posted by Gooner442: What do you do at the moment?.. although noted you said you wanted to do 3D besides money - if one of your goals is to make money I don't think 3D is the direction to go in. If you enjoy 3D and see it as a hobby then by all means, and when you are good enough perhaps then you'll get some money out of it but that could be years away depending on your application and learning speed.

On a side note are you Bristolian?... and a Spurs fan judging by your user name?... I'm a Bristolian and you may of guessed it a Gooner ;-)

I'm a manufacturer at the moment, doing night shifts and definitely could not do this for life! I do get 4 days off every week though so it's ideal to learn something on the side too. Damn night shifts. Hmmm do you mean 3D is not the way to go and a completely different field is what would get me money? Or that a different area within computer graphics is more advisable? I'm not saying I just want to be mega rich or anything but I really like the idea of having the ability to be flexible in the work I choose to do and to be in a situation where the more I apply myself the more money I can make,  like a comfortable freelancer, if you get what I mean.

And I'm not no  I didn't even realise I had Bristol as my City, I must have made this account when I went to uni there! Great city. I am a Spurs fan yeah, makes me appreciate your reply even more in that you were willing to help me ha  Am hoping Sanchez goes though :( 

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #169
Originally Posted by ajspurs: I'm a manufacturer at the moment, doing night shifts and definitely could not do this for life! I do get 4 days off every week though so it's ideal to learn something on the side too. Damn night shifts. Hmmm do you mean 3D is not the way to go and a completely different field is what would get me money? Or that a different area within computer graphics is more advisable? I'm not saying I just want to be mega rich or anything but I really like the idea of having the ability to be flexible in the work I choose to do and to be in a situation where the more I apply myself the more money I can make,  like a comfortable freelancer, if you get what I mean.

And I'm not no  I didn't even realise I had Bristol as my City, I must have made this account when I went to uni there! Great city. I am a Spurs fan yeah, makes me appreciate your reply even more in that you were willing to help me ha  Am hoping Sanchez goes though :( 

Damn!.. the fact I thought you were from Bristol was the only reason I was trying to help! ;-) - I'm hoping Kane and Alli get poached at the last minute!.

I'm just saying learn 3D because you're passionate about it and enjoy it, not because you think it's going to be lucrative, not saying you can't earn decent money from it but there's probably more stories of people struggling to get their foot in the door or being chewed up and spat out than their are people earning good money - It depends how much you want it and your speed in learning. Also, don't let people like me or others put you off if you are passionate about it, I'm just telling you the road to earning your living from it isn't quick or easy.

I see you've been on this forum a number of years so you obviously have a big interest in 3D, which fields are you looking at? - also, are there computer related work you're interested in?.. web design/Concept art etc

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #170
Originally Posted by Gooner442: Damn!.. the fact I thought you were from Bristol was the only reason I was trying to help! ;-) - I'm hoping Kane and Alli get poached at the last minute!.

I'm just saying learn 3D because you're passionate about it and enjoy it, not because you think it's going to be lucrative, not saying you can't earn decent money from it but there's probably more stories of people struggling to get their foot in the door or being chewed up and spat out than their are people earning good money - It depends how much you want it and your speed in learning. Also, don't let people like me or others put you off if you are passionate about it, I'm just telling you the road to earning your living from it isn't quick or easy.

I see you've been on this forum a number of years so you obviously have a big interest in 3D, which fields are you looking at? - also, are there computer related work you're interested in?.. web design/Concept art etc

Haha, well you've started already so you can't back out now  We should be safe from anyone taking them this transfer window at least! The market is just ridiculous at the moment though. 

Oh yeah for sure, I get what you're saying. Well I've been notoriously lazy the last few years and am just in a really boring working routine, I'm not working for anything else and just have no passion for anything. I used to have a really big passion for VFX, used to study particle effects quite a bit but then just lost motivation but recently found a spark in delving into computer graphics again, it's literally like the only thing I have a general interest enough in to study and get my head stuck into. Thing is, if I can't feel some sort of passion or almost gain enjoyment from doing something I lose the will almost but I love all forms of art or anything creative and would love to pursue a career in some form of digital art.

I get that something like 3D modelling could take a while to become accomplished in. It's a tough one because it's something I would really love to become accomplished in yet at the same time I want to be doing something that I can realistically see myself attaining work in.

I've thought about web design before and scratched the surface but have never looked into it deeply. A bit like a few things really, I've never gone deeply into anything other than particle effects or dynamics and such. I'm basically a clean slate so I'm open to studying most things but like said it's the creative or art like (not traditional art, I can't draw at all lol) areas that interest me the most. It's definitely not all about the money, although that is the obvious end goal, to earn money from it but I know myself and I know I need to have a good interest in what I'm doing or I'll lost the will to study it. 

In your personal opinion what would you advise?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #171
I think you've answered it yourself, you don't want to do something that you have no passion for, so give it ago again. If you have some disposable money maybe take a course so you are given some structure, I remember myself finding it hard to motivate myself. At the very least you could use a  computer for exploring a number of creative hobbies and when you're good enough at those hobbies you can get paid for it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #172
Originally Posted by Gooner442: I think you've answered it yourself, you don't want to do something that you have no passion for, so give it ago again. If you have some disposable money maybe take a course so you are given some structure, I remember myself finding it hard to motivate myself. At the very least you could use a  computer for exploring a number of creative hobbies and when you're good enough at those hobbies you can get paid for it.

Yeah indeed mate I agree. I just don't think I have it in me to study something else, even if the potential wage is better. I just don't want to become discouraged on the way, especially if I invest in a computer but I think this is different to when I studied 3D in the past, my mindset that is.

Like you said for me, a course or 2 is definitely a must, for some structure and guidance. Even though I have my concerns, for me it's this or sit on my ass, do nothing and stay in a career I really don't like! So when I look at it like though it's almost a no brainer

Old 1 Week Ago   #173
Originally Posted by everlite: Depends. Personally I was never in a rush, so i've been contributing images over the years. That's not to say it takes years to build up 150 images though. Also note, that on average, only around 20 of those images make up around 90% of my sales. So i could equally have a portfolio of 20 images But generally speaking, the more you submit, the more sales you will make. There's people who just shoot and upload a few hundred images at a time and use high volume appose to quality. Either can work.

This is interesting! I have been uploading a bunch of stock images too over the years, but I have not made one cent of it. Is there a magic kind of image you need to do or what?
Can you show us a link to your stock page?
And as they are so many places today where you can upload and they all want to be the only one who sells 'that specific image', is there a go to stock site?
Can you even sell images on adobe stock? Looks to be the new big boy.

Update: Took a moment to look you up everlite and I came to a fast realization that you probably am talking about digital images in stock pages.. I was talking about photography. Btw your work is awsome!

System: i7-6900K, 64GB, M2-SSD, 1x 980 Ti, 2x 1080 Ti, Win 10 (former Mac user.. RIP Steve, you took the Mac with you.)

Last edited by sirhaffy : 1 Week Ago at 10:09 PM. Reason: Update

Old 1 Week Ago   #174
I want to add to this thread too, as I found it very interesting. I work under the name Njord Studio as I did not want to register a business with my private name (as it will change at some point). Don't know if that's good or bad yet.

But anyway, I work as a Photographer and CG Artist. I do allot of stuff that never shows on the Njord Studio site or portfolio. Mostly photography related stuff. Like weddings and I make photographs of apartments and houses for brokers, as well as portraits and other types of images.
I do not know if this is a side income, but it's not my end goal to do these kinds of things, but they get me some regular cash, and that's good. My business is only a year old..

System: i7-6900K, 64GB, M2-SSD, 1x 980 Ti, 2x 1080 Ti, Win 10 (former Mac user.. RIP Steve, you took the Mac with you.)

Last edited by sirhaffy : 1 Week Ago at 10:24 PM.

Old 3 Days Ago   #175
Sorry for the late response, seems i selectively get notifications from this thread :S

Anyhow, regarding stock images; it doesn't matter if its digital or photo, the same idea applies, its all about the concept. You can no longer shoot pretty pics of mountains, trees, bowls of fruit, your neighbors cat etc .. your images have to tell a conceptual story and be relevant to the world today. Start thinking of ideas, what's happening in the world today? VR, Nukes, Politics, Automated cars, Mars, medical advance, designer babies etc .... then think to yourself, how can i take this idea and make an interesting concept with it .. for example; Designer babies ... any ideas? maybe a baby in designer clothes! lol .. i have no idea  .. but you have to give it an original twist, something that makes a publisher think; "now that's original" ... get the idea?  

Old 1 Day Ago   #176
This is cool, exactly the forum I am looking for to seek advice from. Hello everyone, I am new into forums, and I am not so good with forums  so I will try to be as active as I can here because I am learning so much.

I have one question, and I hope you guys can help me. I am 26, and just started working freelance online last Feb this year. I graduated last year with a 2-year 3d animation school, not so famous :/ I worked for 6 months in a local company, as a 3d animator, but the pay is reallllllyyyy low, seriously low, and the pressure is too high, and I know I can earn more than this if I go independent. The company did make me supervisor after 5 months, which is cool, but I am concerned with my income. My experience is still so little, I was mainly a graphic designer and illustrator for 5 years, and only recently worked with animation (1 year). So, now I am here independently looking for work online. Is this a good start as a cg artist with good income?

I only work freelance online, I don't have much clients locally because the type of job I am working is rare in my place, so I usually get clients overseas, and I accept any types of cg or animation jobs to have stable income. My income so far is triple or more than local cg artists I know in my place, but it's a lot of hard work and advertising. I think I will go into selling assets too, but I am not sure if it is worth the time? I think it needs a lot of time right? You have to make as many assets first, before making a sale? I just want to make sure I get steady income every month.

I am checking the site, it has job boards, but the companies are giants, who only accept people with lots of years of experience, and usually requires relocation. So the way for me to build my portfolio while earn money is really just freelance online. I have online profiles on upwork, fiverr, and even posted services on my website and keep promoting myself. I am thinking of paying for advertising online, and I really don't know where to start with that. Any other ways to get noticed and earn money?

In the end, what I really want, and my ultimate goal in my creative career is to make a 3d animated film for children and win an oscar  that's my goal in life, and I know it's gonna be not so easy.
Awards |Testimonials

Unread 8 Hours Ago   #177
Hi Bemmygail,

Not much to say, other than stay focused and passionate about what you're doing; over time opportunities will present themselves    As for selling 3d content etc ... this can be a time consuming process to get off the ground. I sell stock models on Turbosquid and make around $200 a month from that platform. You can see them here: https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Artist/everlite   Typically when you add any content to a stock library it takes a few months for them to pick up steam and start earning. Its a good long term project, but not a short term win.

How's Fivrr working for you? I work with a lot of people on Fivrr, who are mostly in Asia, seems they do quite well from it. One tip; divide your gigs into multiple gigs, so each one is paid for separately, that way the buyer gives you ratings for each gig separately, i see a lot of people doing  that, so im sure its a know technique for pushing you up in the ranks  

Nice work btw.

David 

Unread 4 Hours Ago   #178
Originally Posted by everlite: How's Fivrr working for you? I work with a lot of people on Fivrr, who are mostly in Asia, seems they do quite well from it. One tip; divide your gigs into multiple gigs, so each one is paid for separately, that way the buyer gives you ratings for each gig separately, i see a lot of people doing  that, so im sure its a know technique for pushing you up in the ranks

So I can help answer a question about Fiverr potential.  It all depends on your talent and skill level.   Personally I've made 100,000 on Fiverr, part time, in 3 years.  Basically working 2 days a week.    You have to look for the right thing though that works for you.  

Looking at this artist I think they could do okay on Fiverr.     I think if that picture is of her and she has a camera she might be able to do spokesperson on top of that.    That is a hot one to do.   

reply share thread