smoothest possible spline curves

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1

Can someone tell me how to improve the smoothness of this spline/Sweep? I want the smoothest possible curves possible.
Thanks much.
Dennis

Last edited by dennishmiller : 08 August 2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: add attachment

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Can you post a sample spline that you don't like? There are multiple ways to increase the smoothness of the curves, but without a sample, it's hard to offer suggestions.

_mike

Old 08 August 2013   #3
I think you forgot to attach the file, are you talking about interpolation or just general shape?

For interpolation, I tend to use uniform and up the subdivision to reduce faceting. Natural sometimes works for me too.

For generally a smooth curve, go with B-spline or Cubic, also don't bunch the vertices up, that'll cause kinks. A lot of this comes from just moving around points until you're happy but knowing how the points and their relative positions helps a lot in getting there quicker.

cheers
brasc

Old 08 August 2013   #4

Sorry - now uploaded. thanks for any help

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibeck
Can you post a sample spline that you don't like? There are multiple ways to increase the smoothness of the curves, but without a sample, it's hard to offer suggestions.

_mike

Old 08 August 2013   #5

Sorry - now uploaded. thanks for any help

I want the splines curves in the Sweep to be as smooth as possible but they seem a bit jagged here.
d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco
I think you forgot to attach the file, are you talking about interpolation or just general shape?

For interpolation, I tend to use uniform and up the subdivision to reduce faceting. Natural sometimes works for me too.

For generally a smooth curve, go with B-spline or Cubic, also don't bunch the vertices up, that'll cause kinks. A lot of this comes from just moving around points until you're happy but knowing how the points and their relative positions helps a lot in getting there quicker.

cheers
brasc

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Select an editor viewport mode like, "Quick Shading (lines)" so you can see the sweep's wireframe. Turn off the material's transparency or uncheck "Textures" from the viewport's Options menu, so you can see better.

Click on the spline, and in the AM, (keeping the type of spline at Bezier) try setting the Intermediate Points to "Subdivided." From there, you can tinker with the Angle and Maximum Length settings to produce a better sweep mesh.

I find Subdivided a good blend between Adaptive and Uniform, giving you the angle to add in more poly detail around tight curves, and set a maximum uniform length for more subtle or linear stretches where the Adaptive interpolation might otherwise not give you enough detail along these segments, unless you cranked up the angle, but this often results in too many polys around tight curves.

YMMV.

Old 08 August 2013   #7

Thanks for the help. I guess I should have asked which parameters in the entire scene - Sweep - circle and Spline - would make for the smoothest possible curves in the final rendered image.
If there is anything else in the other elements in this example that would also impact the smoothness, maybe you can let me know.
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk
Select an editor viewport mode like, "Quick Shading (lines)" so you can see the sweep's wireframe. Turn off the material's transparency or uncheck "Textures" from the viewport's Options menu, so you can see better.

Click on the spline, and in the AM, (keeping the type of spline at Bezier) try setting the Intermediate Points to "Subdivided." From there, you can tinker with the Angle and Maximum Length settings to produce a better sweep mesh.

I find Subdivided a good blend between Adaptive and Uniform, giving you the angle to add in more poly detail around tight curves, and set a maximum uniform length for more subtle or linear stretches where the Adaptive interpolation might otherwise not give you enough detail along these segments, unless you cranked up the angle, but this often results in too many polys around tight curves.

YMMV.

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennishmiller
Thanks for the help. I guess I should have asked which parameters in the entire scene - Sweep - circle and Spline - would make for the smoothest possible curves in the final rendered image.
If there is anything else in the other elements in this example that would also impact the smoothness, maybe you can let me know.
Dennis

The SweepNURB will generate a polygon cage that is progressively generated from how the spline is interpolated between its vertices. If you're looking to smooth the curves of the spline itself, there's a few Types to choose from and experiment with, depends on ease of use/loss of control calculating the curve from vertex to vertex ... Bezier being the most precise to control, but a bit more tedious to do so over other options.

Otherwise, play with the spline segments interpolation options to dial into the best poly cage topology the SweepNURB is generating from those settings.

Likewise, the interpolation of the Circle Spline will result in fewer or more edgeloops/subdivisions around the poly cross-section.

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread