Gold Stamped Foil specular

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Gold Stamped Foil specular

Yes, I've searched and found http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...&highlight=foil

But I'm still having issues with mine and would appreciate some specifics.

Here is my image currently:

And here are ref photos on what I'm going for:

The texture/bump and the look of the basketball (overall specular) is to the client's liking, but the gold FOIL specular doesn't match real-world references. I'm guessing it's mostly due to my lighting, which I'll admit I'm not superb at.

For simplicity I'm using the mia_architectural_x shader (maya 2009). I have maps for various values of the shader (I'll have a hypershade and scene screeshot uploaded later tonight). The maps are on reflectivity, roughness, and a few other parameters.

I know that the lines I have are much thinner than the blocky text on the Spalding balls, but the nice specular shininess is the end goal. I know it doesn't look like a regular ball, but it was an unreleased project and had custom specs including the material.

Thanks
-C

Old 06 June 2013   #2
When we talk about specularity, in general we're referring to an older, deprecated model of lighting where the shader "faked" the reflections of the point and spotlights, as those lights have no actual area to reflect. Specularity can be considered a workaround - it doesn't actually exist.

When using mental ray however, and the mia_material_x, we have an attribute called "Specular Balance" under the Advanced section. This defaults to 1, which means fake Specularity is "On." At 0, fake specularity is off entirely, and only area lights with actual surface area are reflected. This is much closer to reality, of course. Specular highlights we see in real life are really just reflections of lights or the sun.

So in your lighting setup, are you using area lights, or point lights/spotlights? I think if you're using area lights you'll get a much, much better shine from your gold foil shader.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness
So in your lighting setup, are you using area lights, or point lights/spotlights? I think if you're using area lights you'll get a much, much better shine from your gold foil shader.

Thanks for your reply. Your summary of what specularity actually is makes more sense now.

As far as my lights go, I tried to use a simple two spotlight setup, with a "studio" like HDRI source for indirect that's made to look like a light box, with just a lofted ramp backdrop. I'll open that up when I get back to my workstation.

Should I just throw photo studio lighting theory out and make things work with a directional light?

I think one of my main problems is I'm trying to emulate real-world techniques that I use in photography and make them work here, instead of making Maya's tools work for a desired result…

Old 06 June 2013   #4

Ok, I lied, single spot light, HDR light source here:

I'll try a directional light.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Finally!

About fracking time!

I altered the light setup with a single directional light, kept my HDR studio image, and tweaked with the reflection and reflected color maps in the shader.

Just needed a bit of noise (and I needed to zoom in on it).

Old 06 June 2013   #6
That actually looks really good! Pretty clean too, good work.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread