Monkey model for an advertising trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Monkey model for an advertising trailer

Hey guys,
Here is a model I did recently. This monkey will travel to space in a short trailer. True story This is final image I'm posting here. the reason is that my recent submissions have been declined here because of technical problems(as I've been told by CG staff) but they don't tell me what are the specific problems so that I can work on it. They say it maybe composition, Camera and other stuff... . So I'm posting my beauty shot here so you can help me to figure out if there is anything wrong so not to be ignored and rejected again. Thanks for considering the situation.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
That is good work. What software, and how did you make the hair?

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Thanks, This is done in 3ds max 2011. and for hair, I used hair and fur.

Old 09 September 2012   #4

Old 09 September 2012   #5
I will crop out the bottom, as the monkey looks armless (which it is base on your mode). Also, have the monkey look not dead straight. It can do wonder to break the CG look.

I have said this a million times, that you should not have a model in working pose & have it as final render, as an art-piece. To be use for portfolio for potential employers, to be judge on a technical level, no problem, but not as art-piece, which is what teh judges are looking for with the new ( not clearly define) rules.

I have never in my life see in an art gallery, portraits that's looks like passport photo, but I see it all the time in works of 3D artists.

With things like transpose (in Zbrush), there is absolutely no reason why anyone cannot make a simple posture. Turning the eyes are 2 min job at best also.

A little turn of the head, a little off centered eyes can do wonder.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Thanks for your comment. I actually do agree with you. It should have a gesture. I hope I can come up with a good idea for that.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Maybe this?

Old 09 September 2012   #8
I would say your monkey suffers from looking too clean. It must be the best groomed monkey in the forest!
I think if you can add some dirt, scars, patchiness and color variation to the fur, maybe the odd wart on the skin (which it looks like you have a bit in your base mesh but this is lost in your final render) you will end up with a much more natural result.
Your shader work actually looks pretty good, but the lighting is very flat. Try giving the lighting a more dominant direction to get more shape into the face, and maybe have it filtering through some trees to break it up and tie it in to the background.

Hope it helps nice work!

N

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Thanks for following this thread. Actually, the idea was to create a super cute monkey for the trailer, But I guess I've gone too far. Now I'm busy working on an other project but I will do some changes to this one as soon as possible and post updates. Thanks again

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread