Learning "VFX artist" autodidact

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2010   #1
Question Learning "VFX artist" autodidact

Hi :-)

PS: sorry for my bad english :S
I do some personals researchs about the work of VFX artist, because I am very interested. I have some difficulty to find something coherent is because most companies and schools demonstrates differing perceptions of each other about the VFX artist. I was wondering, since it is mainly the book by Lucas Janin me Soumm my field of research, the work of an FX artist, what does it do? The work is similar, there or is it the same as a "FX animator? How is it different in this case?

I really liked going to school for 3D give me the best chance ... However, the price of schools leaves me speechless! The most I could do it in self-learning, while focusing on my plan B in parallel (DEP in photography). Once I moved and bought me a new computer and having fun with digital tutors tutorials and all that falls into my hand, practice, practice and practice. I could also take classes on the Gnomon School Online, if it can help me find work in FX.

An FX artist, I know it's a work more technical than artist. I'm really interested to learn more as more time passes, I am (much) interested in this work, in general, as the animation or 3D modeling. There often works with the particles, fluids and everything? In his newspaper, according to scenes, does it uses a lot and the MEL - or Python, cloth simulation, particle ... ?

I would like especially to know, learn how the self-learning to later work in this area. The Books, films, really gave me "water at the mouth" to force me to iron them ( ) ... I always loved the cinema in my life. Well I know it does not happen overnight. But I know that if I put myself seriously, I'll be able. What should I bet? What learning mainly to convince the employer that I might as well the case that a person who has studied? Should I also learn modeling? Maya, Houdini, Syflex ago, I just found, destruction, MEL, Python ... How often is the lineup does it use?

What elements should I learn in my approach to get one of these days work for the post of VFX artist, or any position which corresponds under other different names?

The Compositing does not interest me, and my intuition told me that this is not the same as working with fluids, particles, cloth simulation ...

Programmer does not scare me at all! I already know the Actionscript, Javascript and web programming thanks to my first session in multimedia integration, but it's not really what the web I am concerned, the film, 3D animation and special effects. But hey, I could not go to Old Montreal as I wanted because I moved off the field with my father and not enough money for an apartment for now ... and also for an expenssive school; I will pay the school with no help from family.

Anyway, hoping you can enlighten me greatly in my research, the sites of businesses and schools that do not mix me even more: A school of special effects which I thought she was preparing for the trade FX artist, I noticed at one point it was rather the composition and Matt painting, which I think is very different ...

Thank you for any information, I am grateful in advance. :-)

Last edited by Slinky07 : 02 February 2010 at 05:30 PM.

Old 02 February 2010   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread