Linda Bergkvist Video Tutorial

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #61
I still don't quite see, though, how a few tricks can really be that critical. An artist is not the tools they use, and a few clever buttons in Photoshop do not an artist make. No one can truly copy someone else's style without the same eye for color, line, and shape that they have. I suppose a few specific flourishes could very well be private, but in general I haven't heard of many traditional artists, emotive or not, that would mind talking about how they work-- in fact many seem quite proud of the techniques they've come up with, secure in the knowledge that no one else can do it like them anyway. It's the more difficult mediums that people get twitchy and insecure about-- like ceramics, where one might stand out by getting a particular glaze color to work that hardly anyone can guess how to use, or computer graphics where we're limited so badly by the quirks of our equipment... but those are all still just tricks, just tools. Linda Bergkvist will always be the only Linda Bergkvist, Ryan Church will always be Ryan Church, or whoever, whether they're using the full power of Photoshop, or chalk on a sidewalk.

Also, it's all of tremendous value to the art community. Think of how much time has been spent trying to decipher the processes of the masters like Leonardo-- how precious their simple rough sketches and unfinished works have become, how eager all of us are to find any sign of how they worked, how they thought. What the heck would a DVD simply watching one of those people in action be worth today?

Old 08 August 2005   #62
"What the heck would a DVD simply watching one of those people in action be worth today?"

A lot.

Old 08 August 2005   #63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Cranium
What the heck would a DVD simply watching one of those people (DaVinci) in action be worth today?

I would say about gazillion dollars. In fact, I would bet that people would kill for such a DVD.

Although I'm sure that many people would benefit from watching a dvd from any of the talented artists you mentioned, it's just not comparable to DaVinci. I don't say this to be disrespectful to the mentioned artists.

There are ton of books, web sites, etc. We have more resources available to us for us to find than any other time in history, and one often take things like linear perspective for granted, myself included. Such system didn't exist before the Renaissance period. I don't know whether one would call linear perspective a trick, but it certainly changed the way artists sees the world, forever. One cannot put a price tag on something that big, imo.

Old 08 August 2005   #64
I think there are people out there who have technical talent equal to someone like Linda Bergkvist but dont produce art that captures the interest of popular culture the way Linda does. Its like there are a thousands of guitarists who have technical ability to play as well as Eddie Van Halen, but that doesnt make them equal to Eddie Van Halen. And someone like Eddie Van Halen isnt going to let video cameras roll in the studio while he is making an album because that creative process is something personal that would spoil the magic so to speak. I think there is a lack of photoshop videos that show the entire process of making a an art work the way someone like Bob Ross shows the entire process of making a painting. But Ill bet someone could be found who would be willing to do it if people would seek them out.

Old 08 August 2005   #65
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread