Skycity2012

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Skycity2012

Hi.
Here is some progress of the project I had in mind for several years. Probably since I saw Treasure Planet, Last Exile etc
I actually started it at least twice already and never finished. But this time, I hope it will be different....

So this is what I have so far. There will be a character standing on some platform in foreground, looking down at the city...

here are some props that will be used in the streets...

here is screenshot from Softimage and ICEtree. I'm using ICE to gerenate houses by randomly combining 10 components (ground, 1st floor, 2nd floor, roof etc)

and here is test of a rope ICE compound that a friend of mine did. It generates rope between two Null objects, allowing me to control elasticity of the rope easily...

and here are some of many sketches I did. but current goal is to make everything a little bit more steampunk, so more pipes, gears and stuff like that

any comments are welcomed

09 September 2012
Looking great, I hope you won't oversaturate it with textures, as it looks nice now. To achieve this effect, you will have to increase the exposure after texturing.

09 September 2012
the icetree thing (no idea what it is) looks complex, but result seems impressive.

I look forward for more update to this project.

09 September 2012
ICE is ONLY on Softimage. It was design the have better simulation effect but turn out that many programer use it to help create rig or modeling by instance.

If Softimage still exist it's because of that. Sadly

09 September 2012
mister3d: thanks. i still have a lot of modeling work do to. I'm actually trying to design houses properly right now, so everything might change quite a lot...

PKD: here is some info about ICE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autode...e_Enviro nment
it's really a visual programming thing such as xpresso in Cinema4d, or whole Houdini (yeah, i know, Houdini is more powerful)...
Great thing about it is, that it allows even non-technical people like me to to do quite complex effects and tools... (for example I did these tools for scattering objects, and trust me, I'm not a programmer http://vimeo.com/36612233 )

Scote: Let's not be so pesimistic. Softimage has many great features to offer. Of course, ICE is one of the best now

09 September 2012
I'm a softimage user myself. and I live in the city who create the software, but with years I can tell you our industry use less softimage and turn to maya. For about 3 years now, but it's difficult to manage a new pipeline in a studio.

Arnold renderer turn out to be more powerful. Hope to grab a license someday

Last edited by Scote : 09 September 2012 at 01:50 PM.

Thread Closed share thread