Godrays not working

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Godrays not working

Okay here I am trying to achieve a god rays in Vue xStream 10 and I am just getting NOTHING at all . Not a hint of light beams

I am new to Vue, just using it from past 2 weeks. However I have understood the settings in Atmosphere editor, and haze, glow, scattering controls god rays.
Here are my settings, i have no clue as to where I am going wrong.

http://imageshack.us/f/607/34913662.jpg/

IN the image you will find
Sun Position
Terrain Scale
Rendered Image
All the tabs of atmosphere editor
I really hope that's enough for anyone to trouble shoot..!!

Old 10 October 2012   #2
What happens when you load one of the sample godray scenes?

Old 10 October 2012   #3
never tried that....
want to create it myself !!

However I think that's good place to start checking for settings !!
Thnx for the tip!!

Old 10 October 2012   #4
The sample scenes were the only way for me to see how things were done. The book doesn't explain much.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Just a gut feeling, you maybe should try to position the sun above the cloud level, not inside. Shouldn't make a difference, but it could do.

It is nice to be important,
but it is more important to be nice.

Duster Bennett

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Wabe, I will give that a shot..!!

ShawnDriscoll, I think (an assumption) the book (by Dax Pandhi) is for people who already have a kind of knowledge in Vue

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by govindk
ShawnDriscoll, I think (an assumption) the book (by Dax Pandhi) is for people who already have a kind of knowledge in Vue

I don't know anything about that book except that it's a generalized book that might work with other programs besides Vue (if there are other programs besides Vue, Bryce used to be the king of environment scene rendering 13 years ago).

The Vue manual is all full of junk like:
The Render command renders your scene.
A camera's Depth of Field can be turned on to use its Depth of Field.
Only solidgrowth plants can be grown in Vue using Vue's new solidgrowth technolgy for growing plants in Vue.

Last edited by ShawnDriscoll : 10 October 2012 at 09:37 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Personally I prefer creating environments in zBrush...!!
I am learning Vue for a new project which is demanding this extreme landscape.

However after learning Vue, I think it can save me a lot of sculpting time even for closer rocks with MetaBlobs Terrains (if that's what it is called).

Getting back to the topic, I did get slight God Rays on a new scene, I put the sun right behind a mountain peak... I think I need more practice !!

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Part of the key to making Godrays is to have the volumetric light turned on for the Sun, and crank up the Aerial Perspective in the atmosphere settings. Then you just need something to partly block the sunlight so that some contrast is created for the Godrays.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Yup ! doing just that
But I ain't getting anything on clouds with the same settings...i made sure My haze is covering clouds...
Similar settings like the one I posted above

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Don't worry about the clouds/haze/fog. You can probably hide some of those for now. Your hills are in the shade for one thing. You want them in the sunlight so they can cut deep into the volumetrics. That's when you see the godrays. Then you can introduce clouds and other to the scene to filter the strength of the rays.

After that, you can probably move the hills make into shadow and still have some Godrays left.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Thnx mann !!

Will check it out...
I do have Volumetric on Clouds

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread