What's the right way to make a bump map for a character?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2013

12 December 2013
What exactly do you mean? Your question is really broad. Are you asking about what details you put into the map? Or what gray values to use? Or something else?

12 December 2013
I'm asking what the right method is to create a good bump map for a character. I've so far learned two methods, the 1st is turning a diffuse map to grayscale and adjusting it, and the 2nd is applying a High Pass filter to the diffuse map in Photoshop.

I'm not sure if these two are the right ways so I wanted to know. Also, yes I am interested in knowing what gray value to use for the grayscale method, but I'm not sure I understand how to determine if I have the right value.

01 January 2014
I would bake the normals of a high poly really, but in the case of converting a diffuse into a bump, then I suggest that you use the black and white adjustment layer that lets you pick which colors are of what value of black and white.

01 January 2014
Originally Posted by Aazv17: I would bake the normals of a high poly really, but in the case of converting a diffuse into a bump, then I suggest that you use the black and white adjustment layer that lets you pick which colors are of what value of black and white.

The thing is when I turn the diffuse into black and white and use that for a bump map, there are areas that end up too rough on the skin and areas that aren't "bumpy" enough, if you will. Do I just cut and paste those parts to a new layer and adjust them accordingly?

I didn't know you could actually define which colors are of what black and white value. Could you show me how to do that?

01 January 2014
Originally Posted by Acitone: The thing is when I turn the diffuse into black and white and use that for a bump map, there are areas that end up too rough on the skin and areas that aren't "bumpy" enough, if you will. Do I just cut and paste those parts to a new layer and adjust them accordingly?

I didn't know you could actually define which colors are of what black and white value. Could you show me how to do that?

Ok, so for the color into black and white, you want to have the colored version and the click on new adjustment layer>black and white, then it will turn the image into black and white and on the right hand side, near the top is going to be a window with sliders for each color, which control how black and white they are.

If you wamt to adjust parts of the bump map individually I would select the area and make a new layer via copy(right click on selection for it,to show up). Then after you edit it's contrast, brightness, or levels with their corresponding adjustment layers, you could creste a masking layer by clicking on the icon that is (I believe) 2 icons to the left of either the trash can that deletes layers at the buttom or the create new layer that is next to it I think. And when you make that mask, yoy can the paint the transitions of that new edited area black so that it doesn't show (painting the masking layer black turns it transparent, and white is solid).

01 January 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread