Auto Clavicle

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
Auto Clavicle

Hello..

Can anybody describe the idea behind the automatic shoulder (clavicle) setup made famous by jason schleifer? I'd be very curious for a quick description either as a walkthrough of setting an auto clavicle, or perhaps just a quick overview of the underlying principles. all and any help would be appreciated.

-alex

04 April 2005
I prefer to animate the clavicle manually. However to automate it you could use the rotation of the sholder to drive the rotation of the clavicle. Some people use expressions or set-driven-keys, but I have used the multiplyDivide node (from the hypershade).

You use the connection editor to connect the rotations from the sholder to the input of the multDiv and from there, the out to the rotations of the clavicle. Then just set the multiply values to the required fraction of the sholder rotation. A prerequisite is that both joint's local rotation axes have been aligned the same way and zero'ed.

05 May 2005
A little bit on it's animation, is it pretty much just set up so that the clavical always points to the elbow. Not bad for limted arm motion, like an arm swing while walking. Doesn't do much go with raising the hands above the shoulders, or sticking the arm straight out, because it breaks the clavical real fast ( if it were a real bone that is. Doesn't break the rig though). There is a control to counter animate it, and you could set it up to turn in on and off. I find that I counter animate as much as I'd just animate the shoulder in the first place. It's a whole nother arm rig to make it work as well, and just for that reason, I tend to not use it in my rigs, mostly because my rigs tend to stretch alot, and it's hard to keep it in place.

I'd have to be animating a lot of characters walking without arm gestures to want to use it, but that's just me. And i'm not a huge fan of automatic processes that need couter animation, or are easy to turn on and off.

-Evil The Cat

05 May 2005
i've also found that the auto-clavicle setup has a really hard time handling itself if you have fk/ik arms set up in the rig. The arm setup used in the tutorial, has two IK arms... and I've had a hell of a time trying to get it all to work together. My animation team prefers animating the shoulders themselves (i've actually had to take auto-clavicles off rigs per animator requests).

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by Dichotomy: (i've actually had to take auto-clavicles off rigs per animator requests).

Hehehehe. I have had the same requests, take them off put them on. Y this dosen't move that way? Argh damn animators some times I just want to....... Ahhhhh its a love and hate relationship. Personally speaking I like to animate my clavicles manually. But others like them automatic so I made a way to turn it off and on.

@littlepixel> If you want to know Jason sholder set up you have to by his DVD's if one of us tells you he will fly over here and manually choke us. Search the web or email Jason and ask him manually. There are a lot of auto sholders tutorials out there on the web. His is the most effective IMO.

Good Luck

05 May 2005
personally i set the clavicals manually as well bc there are many times i need to do shrugs or streching and the clav needs to be independant

but i would love the flexibility of some autopositioning button, something to just click and the clav would snap into a nice position for keying.

05 May 2005
Originally Posted by Dichotomy: (i've actually had to take auto-clavicles off rigs per animator requests).

thats interesting...
in my opinion, any automation in a rig should be able to be blended on/off.

all of my rigs have full ik/fk blending, with an auto clavicle (schleifer-style, with some adjustments) that the animator can blend the effect on and off of, and can also animate overtop of.
so I've never been asked to remove the function from a rig, just set the attr to 0, and its as good as not there.

Originally Posted by Dichotomy: i've also found that the auto-clavicle setup has a really hard time handling itself if you have fk/ik arms set up in the rig

its cretainly possible for this to work.

.j

05 May 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread