SciFi Fighter Model (WIP) (Critique and Help Appreciated!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
SciFi Fighter Model (WIP) (Critique and Help Appreciated!)

Hey all,

I've already been working on this project for a bit, so the geometry is almost finished, I just need to add in some landing skids, hard points for missiles, and potentially some fuel tanks on the wing tips. Here's what I've got so far:

I recently switched to Maya 2018, and it's been annoying in some ways. I'd love to hear critique, feedback, etc!

01 January 2018
Small update: I added some fuel tanks and missiles. I'm going to begin texturing so this is the final geometry for the model:

01 January 2018
It looks like those engines in the back are blowing hot gases straight onto the rear wings.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by ZeT3D: It looks like those engines in the back are blowing hot gases straight onto the rear wings.
Hmm, maybe they should be elevated a bit more. I was aiming for something a bit like the A-10 Warthog. I'll definitely modify that.

Any other feedback? Every comment is appreciated!

01 January 2018
Are you going for technical or just artistic? I'd say you've got a nice model, and the details look great too, artistically.

Technically, this machine wouldn't fly, but who cares about that? I mean, those X-wing fighters in Star Wars had WINGS. In space. They had wings in space. Your ship has the center of lift way too far forward of the center of mass, so it would just flip a bunch really. But it looks good.

Sweet modeling though. Unwrap it and slap some base textures on it.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Are you going for technical or just artistic? I'd say you've got a nice model, and the details look great too, artistically.

Technically, this machine wouldn't fly, but who cares about that? I mean, those X-wing fighters in Star Wars had WINGS. In space. They had wings in space. Your ship has the center of lift way too far forward of the center of mass, so it would just flip a bunch really. But it looks good.

Sweet modeling though. Unwrap it and slap some base textures on it.
Primarily I was looking artistically. I figured this machine won't fly, but it's not as much of a priority for me, since this is more of a sci-fi/fantasy piece than anything else. Artistically is what I wanted to mainly ensure.

Thanks for your feedback though! I really appreciate it! I will post renders of my initial texturing soon!

01 January 2018
Alright, so I've been testing different shaders, and I'm having a hard time deciding what approach to take. Here's some test renders I did:

I'm mostly unsure whether to take a painted metal approach (http://www.flyinginthespirit.cuttys...er_Michigan.jpg), a more specular metallic approach (http://www.pwencycl.kgbudge.com/ima...__side_full.jpg) or something like this:https://img1.cgtrader.com/items/239...3ds-fbx-dxf.jpg

Any ideas guys?

4 Weeks Ago
Another crack at texturing:

1 Week Ago
Right, so I haven't been around for a while. Well, texturing each and every piece has been taking a while, so here's some progress on that:

I settled on a custom texture I built, and I still need to fix some UVs on this model. It's gonna take a while. Sigh. Back to work.

reply share thread