Ideas for challenge ! Post your takes !

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2018
Ideas for challenge ! Post your takes !

I would like to create a "repository" of ideas for lighting challenges. Please focus both on the technical and artistic aspect. Just to start the thread
1) Realtime renders vs "traditional"
I'm sure this one will become obsolete (hopefully). Do you think non-real time renderers are superior in some specialties ? Do you think RT renders can complete in all the fields with them or there is some niche that is still hard to colonize?
2) Hard challenges. No matter how fast pc will become is there some problem too complex to work out or where only few render engine can succeed ? (mostrous level of displacement, non-visible light rendering, thousands of mirrors and glasses in the same scene etc. ?)
3) Photorealistic scene still difficult to render . How can we create a Turing test for rendering ? An image with such a complex behaviour of light that would be impossible to reproduce without a believable approximation ?
Post your ideas and answer here

4 Weeks Ago
@jojo1975
I believe nowadays the difficulty of rendering a Photorealistic scene is much easier than how it would have been 5 or 10 years back.
realtime renders soon will catch up with offline renders.
so I think we need to focus more on what makes aPhotorealistic image believable. rather than how lights are bouncing around and how the light approximation is done.
for example, most of the modern render engine is capable of rendering whatever you throw at them .lights are bouncing, scattering through the surface etc!
but still, we can end up with the badlooking shotI don't think any rendering advancementcan fix that.

There is a secretsauce in making a believable image but I don't think that's the render engine capability they (Pixar, ILM, etc) have compared to the others.

The photorealisticscenes are not difficult to render(render time, how light behave and stuff) but what difficult is to achieve the believability in those images.

so yeah basically I think we have to learn how to produce a believable image and let the AI do the rendering and denoise

Last edited by vfxpraveen : 3 Weeks Ago at 01:12 PM.

reply share thread