Jolly Halloween 2013, Cris Delara (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Jolly Halloween 2013, Cris Delara (2D)

Title: Jolly Halloween 2013
Name: Cris Delara
Software: Photoshop

Happy Halloween!!
On this Pin up Project I've put together some elements that I found interesting to play with:
- Old Circus's Posters ( Vintage style look)
- Fairy Tale history ( Princess and the Frog)
- Love story (Story inside the image)
- Halloween/Magic/ Fantasy/Witch ( Main theme =Halloween's Pin up)

This piece has is a very emotional appeal, it's about Love.
- Love that can be shared , given to anyone or received from anyone, including strange or non conventional figures. Love is beautiful to all.

Color Palette:
Because of this image was created to Halloween's Day. My colour choices, were of course, variations of Violet +Yellow Orange + Blue Green. ( This is my favourite and most beautiful triad of color's wheel ).

Composition:
At first, my idea was to play with old vintage Circus's Posters, but in a second step I've remembered of the J. C. Leyendecker's Covers to " The Saturday Evening Post" Magazine, and decided to use these two influences mixed to create the layout and composition of my image.

Vintage/Retro look:

1- I kept in my mind that I needed to use all elements denoting the nostalgic atmosphere of the Vintage/Retro old fashioned style. And that's why I created a kind of wallpaper with some dirty colours ( using browns, some reds and blues).

2- I created a Hand-drawing Title with a wood texture to reinforce the rustic mood of an old fashion signs. The paper clips at the very top of image and are holding the Wood title were a very nice idea to add a "scrapbook" detail and make stronger the Vintage look. Small details makes big difference in an image as soon as very small pinches of pepper can add something special in a good meal. Subtlety is very important element of language and can tells a lot when you want to transmit an idea.

3- I love ornaments and added some at the bottom of image following the same look of the Title.

The Fairy tale about the Princess and the Frog worked very well with my idea and I replaced a princess for a beautiful and charming witch that felt in love for a frog ( prince) that offered to her his heart ( love). And because of that she decided to turn him in a real prince using her wand.

I hope you enjoyed this image as much as I enjoyed! I wish you a wonderful Halloween Celebration... full of candies, colours, happiness and LOVE.

11 November 2013

Five stars of course!!
Sucesso!!

11 November 2013
Wonderful work, very original, lovely colors!

NVus Designs - Inspiration for 3D Visualization and Architecture!

3D Visualization & Art
Interior & 3D Facebook

11 November 2013
Estudio Manga:
Thank you very very much for your comment and great great energy!
I am grateful!

JDMedia :
Thank you very much! I loved work on this piece and is fantastic to receive feedbacks like yours! I really appreciate it!

11 November 2013
Beautiful style, harkens back to the golden age of illustration

HelzerSketch Blog

11 November 2013
danielh68:

Do you know Danielh68, you got exactly what would like to show. The nostalgic look of old images... mixed with a new pin up girls... To play with that is super exciting to me as a Pin up Artist. I loved your comment! Do you like Pin ups?

11 November 2013
Hi CrisdeLara,

No, I'm not really a pin up artist but I like the genre, especially Golden Age. I'm pretty fond of Elgren and Ballantyne. Your work is very refreshing to see. I will have to consider taking a class from you in the future.

HelzerSketch Blog

11 November 2013
Classical pin-up but with a modern disposition.

Very good.

11 November 2013
Wink

Very cool. I don't know if you've seen the anime "Soul Eater" but she reminds me of the witch character "Blair" (namely the color scheme; the sexy look; and the hat). I do like the black and purple colors used for her outfit, and I like the tie in with the old fairy tale (must be handy for the frog to have a witch girlfriend; she can change him back). I like the color and curl of her hair as well (kind of has that life and volume you see with Merida from "Brave"). I also like the expression on her face and how you rendered the skin tones (nice use of the blues and greens). The arm and hand holding the frog looks a little off though (like it's at a bad angle and the hand's shape doesn't quite work), but the other hand looks fine. That's also a very cheeky-looking frog (the scamp. Interesting idea to have the poster title be a cut out rather than print, and I like how you aged the parchment. Overall, a really cool piece and a nice tribute to pin-up and Halloween. Keep it up. Great job.

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread