Student modeling demo! I need some advice!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Student modeling demo! I need some advice!

Hi! My name is Alexandra, I am a graduated student from Quebec City at the O'Sullivan College. This is my demo reel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtEJX8mtyc8 , in which I have worked on in my last session. I'd like to have criticism and advice on what to improve in my work.

I also want to know, is it a good idea to pursue at university in this field? Is it worth it? Do you think I have a good potential?

Thanks for taking the time to look at my demo and answer my questions! Have a nice day

09 September 2013
Hi there

Originally Posted by AlexandraCarette: Hi! My name is Alexandra, I am a graduated student from Quebec City at the O'Sullivan College. This is my demo reel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtEJX8mtyc8 , in which I have worked on in my last session. I'd like to have criticism and advice on what to improve in my work.

I also want to know, is it a good idea to pursue at university in this field? Is it worth it? Do you think I have a good potential?

Thanks for taking the time to look at my demo and answer my questions! Have a nice day

Hi Alexandra. About your reel, i think your characters looks more like next gen games. I am not good at proportions and overall shape, but maybe the beast needs a more imponent pose or shape(maybe you like that pose and style, so, my point of view is relative and maybe wrong). About the presentation, is hard to see with details the wireframe. Maybe recruiters want to see the wireframe and check if works for animation (for example).

about your first question, maybe. Do yo want to focus only in modelling?do you have money for a university?or time. I mea, you have potential, the only thing you need is brake the barriers, think out of the box. Check out in youtube how many modelling reels you will find, and you will notice that almost all reels looks identical. Thats the point: make something different. I think i have some reels i saw in internet about modelling, amazing reels. Feel free to write me back here or my email at osmeldu@gmail.com.

Right now i am in UK (i am from south america), working in a animated short film. Where are you working?

Cheers.

09 September 2013
Hi!
I really appreciate you took the time to watch and comment my work! Thank you!
I agree with everything you said. I know my beast's posture is weak. I am also aware that the topology is not visible enough. I think I underestimated its importance when I did the post-prod. I will keep that in mind!

I think being unique and creative is the hardest aspect of a demo reel. I will try to develop more my creativity.

I want to focus on modeling. Well, textures as well, since it comes together. I also need to improve render and lighting techniques, because it is primordial.

I just don't know if going to university would make such a drastic improvement in my abilities. I mean, if it is worth the time and money because, no, it is not a problem. I just don't want to spend 3 years again and end up unemployed. For now, I donít work. I am still searching.

As we know, the 3D industry is not always easy to get in! I know they are safer jobs. I think I would make a good graphic designer too.

Right now, I am wondering if I have enough potential. Even if I had a grant for the best results in my class, I am still afraid.

Wow, you moved in UK, this is really cool! One day I want to move to the USA! Iíd like to watch your film when it is released, I am a curious person!

Thank you again for your answer, it means a lot to me! I was afraid no one would answer!

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by AlexandraCarette: Hi!
I really appreciate you took the time to watch and comment my work! Thank you!
I agree with everything you said. I know my beast's posture is weak. I am also aware that the topology is not visible enough. I think I underestimated its importance when I did the post-prod. I will keep that in mind!

I think being unique and creative is the hardest aspect of a demo reel. I will try to develop more my creativity.

I want to focus on modeling. Well, textures as well, since it comes together. I also need to improve render and lighting techniques, because it is primordial.

I just don't know if going to university would make such a drastic improvement in my abilities. I mean, if it is worth the time and money because, no, it is not a problem. I just don't want to spend 3 years again and end up unemployed. For now, I donít work. I am still searching.

As we know, the 3D industry is not always easy to get in! I know they are safer jobs. I think I would make a good graphic designer too.

Right now, I am wondering if I have enough potential. Even if I had a grant for the best results in my class, I am still afraid.

Wow, you moved in UK, this is really cool! One day I want to move to the USA! Iíd like to watch your film when it is released, I am a curious person!

Thank you again for your answer, it means a lot to me! I was afraid no one would answer!

Well, if money is not a problem, you should try schools like gnomon, ringling...the best students reels come from there, also from filmakademie, in germany. I want to study there, but i am at the same point as you: i am not sure if i should study or keep learning by myself... after this short film i will make another shortfilm, about a paralell history inside the books of game of thrones (song of ice and fire) that i really like. The problem with that is to find people who REALLY dedicate time and effort to a non-profit project like a short film, just me and my girlfriend. Is you are interested or know people who is interested and really want to work in that, let me know.

why USA?most people tells me that this industry is moving more here in europe than USA, but, am not sure 100% about it.

Dont worry, i am always surfing in cg talk post to find help or help people, also, is a good practice to compare works and find inspiration.

By the way, this is my short film:

http://vimeo.com/57278587

The history SUCKS bad, but i have to change the story board because i did not have much time. Also, there is my last reel, and it sucks too. I will work on that soon

09 September 2013
I just took a look at those schools! I already heard about gnomon. From what I have seen, they have online classes. It can be an option for me, it is probably better than going to university in Quebec!!

Unfortunately don't really know much about games of throne even if looks very cool.. Your project seems interesting!

Well, it is not for the industry I want to move to the usa.. I just simply like the country; it is like a childhood dream to live there one day.

I agree, CGsociety is a very inspiring website!!

I watched your film, I think it is really nice! I don't believe the story sucks, I laughed, it was cute! I really love the characters! I also watched your reel, it is well done too in my opinion! I am bad at making fur and lighting so I find that impressive!!

09 September 2013
thanks

Originally Posted by AlexandraCarette: I just took a look at those schools! I already heard about gnomon. From what I have seen, they have online classes. It can be an option for me, it is probably better than going to university in Quebec!!

Unfortunately don't really know much about games of throne even if looks very cool.. Your project seems interesting!

Well, it is not for the industry I want to move to the usa.. I just simply like the country; it is like a childhood dream to live there one day.

I agree, CGsociety is a very inspiring website!!

I watched your film, I think it is really nice! I don't believe the story sucks, I laughed, it was cute! I really love the characters! I also watched your reel, it is well done too in my opinion! I am bad at making fur and lighting so I find that impressive!!

well, thanks. I will make other short film, another one (not my girlfriend short film) soon.

Take care and good look with that

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread